5.1 Using TODO states
Any headline becomes a TODO item when it starts with the word
‘TODO’, for example:
*** TODO Write letter to Sam Fortune
The most important commands to work with TODO entries are:
- C-c C-t
- Rotate the TODO state of the current item among
(unmarked) -> TODO -> DONE -> (unmarked)
The same rotation can also be done “remotely” from the timeline and
agenda buffers with the t command key (see Agenda commands).
- Select the following/preceding TODO state, similar to cycling.
- C-c / t
- View TODO items in a sparse tree (see Sparse trees). Folds the
buffer, but shows all TODO items and the headings hierarchy above
- C-c a t
- Show the global TODO list. Collects the TODO items from all agenda files
(see Agenda Views) into a single buffer. See Global TODO list, for
- Insert a new TODO entry below the current one.
Changing a TODO state can also trigger tag changes. See the docstring of the
org-todo-state-tags-triggers for details.