* Survey results
@ 2008-01-27 21:22 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-27 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

you might remember that in November, Charles Cave organized a survey
among Org-mode users in November.  The results of this survey can be
found at
http://orgmode.org/survey.html.

Thanks to Charles!  There is some really interesting stuff in this,
in particular in the answers to question 5.

- Carsten

* automatic reminders in Emacs as pop ups [was: Re: Survey results ]
@ 2008-01-27 22:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2008-01-27 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

One answer to question 5 on the survey was another question: automatic
reminders in Emacs as pop ups?

Here is how I do it, using very little machinery. As part of org-mode
initialization, I add appointments from the diary to the agenda at
startup and I also make org-agenda-redo rescan the appt list:

-----------------------------------
(require 'appt)
(setq org-agenda-include-diary t)
(setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
(org-agenda-to-appt)

(defadvice  org-agenda-redo (after org-agenda-redo-add-appts)
  "Pressing `r' on the agenda will also add appointments."
  (progn
    (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
    (org-agenda-to-appt)))

(ad-activate 'org-agenda-redo)
-----------------------------------

I enable appt reminders, set the format to 'window and provide
a display function that calls a python program to do the popup:

-----------------------------------
(progn
  (appt-activate 1)
  (setq appt-display-format 'window)
  (setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))
  (defun my-appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time msg)
    (call-process "/home/nick/bin/popup.py" nil 0 nil min-to-app msg new-time)))
-----------------------------------

Finally, the popup.py program is trivial:

-----------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python

""" Simple dialog popup example similar to the GTK+ Tutorials one """

import gtk
import sys

mins = sys.argv[1]
text = ' '.join(sys.argv[2:])
dialog = gtk.MessageDialog(None,
                           gtk.DIALOG_MODAL | gtk.DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,
                           gtk.MESSAGE_INFO, gtk.BUTTONS_OK,
                           "Appt in %s mins: %s" % (mins, text))
dialog.run()
dialog.destroy()
-----------------------------------

HTH,
Nick

* Re: automatic reminders in Emacs as pop ups [was: Re: Survey results ]
@ 2008-01-27 22:42   ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2008-01-27 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also, debian/ubuntu package libnotify-bin contains a command-line
utility "notify-send" that you can use to display non-modal user
notifications, in the same way as popup.py.

Piotr

* Re: Survey results
@ 2008-01-27 23:05 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-01-27 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-01-27 21:22 +0000, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you might remember that in November, Charles Cave organized a survey
> among Org-mode users in November.  The results of this survey can be
> found at
> http://orgmode.org/survey.html.
>
> Thanks to Charles!  There is some really interesting stuff in this,
> in particular in the answers to question 5.
>
> - Carsten

It is interesting to see the number of Xemacs users is small.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/

* Re: Re: Survey results
@ 2008-01-27 23:21   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-01-27 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> It is interesting to see the number of Xemacs users is small.

Being included in GNU Emacs surely helps.  But note that "keeping XEmacs
compatibility" is also mentionned in the 5th section.

--
Bastien