* babel for maxima
@ 2012-03-25 13:16 Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-03-25 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a suggestion for the maxima mode in org-babel.
I am using Emacs on a Mac which means that some hint work differently.
The standard distribution of Maxima for the mac does not have a command 'maxima' anywhere on the path.

The way to start character mode maxima from a shell is using
/Applications/Maxima.App/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh

Maxima itself brings an emacs mode with the standard distribution, and
in maxima mode for Emacs he maxima command can be configured by using
(setq maxima-command "/Applications/Maxima.app/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh")
in .emacs

So it makes sense that maxima mode in org does

(require 'maxima)
and then uses maxima-command when it defines the function

(defun org-babel-execute:maxima

I hope this is a reasonable suggestion.

* Re: babel for maxima
@ 2012-03-26 11:47 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-26 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Neuwirth Erich <erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> writes:

> I have a suggestion for the maxima mode in org-babel.
> I am using Emacs on a Mac which means that some hint work differently.
> The standard distribution of Maxima for the mac does not have a command 'maxima' anywhere on the path.
>
> The way to start character mode maxima from a shell is using
> /Applications/Maxima.App/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh
>

> Maxima itself brings an emacs mode with the standard distribution, and
> in maxima mode for Emacs he maxima command can be configured by using
> (setq maxima-command "/Applications/Maxima.app/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh")
> in .emacs
>
> So it makes sense that maxima mode in org does
>
> (require 'maxima)
> and then uses maxima-command when it defines the function
>

> (defun org-babel-execute:maxima
>
> I hope this is a reasonable suggestion.

This is a very reasonable suggestion.  I've just added a new custom
variable named `org-babel-maxima-command' to ob-maxima.el.  This
variable will default to the value of maxima-command if it is already
defined or simply "maxima" otherwise, however it can be set in your
configuration.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte