* opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-29 19:11 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-09-29 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

maybe I am just to impatient but on my 8 GB Thinkpad X1 (4gen) to open a
0.5MB org file takes around 15 sec.

Any change to speed this up?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-29 21:06 ` Jeremie Juste
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2020-09-29 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Uwe,

Can you test with emacs -Q ?

A 1.6M org file took a little under 7 sec on my computer.
It probably depends on the number of minor modes are being loaded, font-lock,
auto-completion, etc.

I'm afraid I don't know how to profile the opening of a file. Does
anybody know a function that would do the profiling like
elp-instrument-function for functions?

--
HTH
Jeremie Juste

On Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 21:11, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> maybe I am just to impatient but on my 8 GB Thinkpad X1 (4gen) to open a
> 0.5MB org file takes around 15 sec.
>
> Any change to speed this up?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Uwe Brauer

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-29 21:48   ` Russell Adams
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-09-29 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:06:39PM +0200, Jeremie Juste wrote:
> Can you test with emacs -Q ?

Another good question is are you starting Emacs and opening the file,
or just opening the file with Emacs already loaded?

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30  4:12   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-30  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste, emacs-orgmode

> I'm afraid I don't know how to profile the opening of a file. Does
> anybody know a function that would do the profiling like
> elp-instrument-function for functions?

There is elp-instrument-package. Also, I did successful profiling with
simple profiler-start/profiler-report before and after opening the file.

In general, time for opening org files depends on many factors [1].
Profiling is the way to go if one wants to find the bottlenecks.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/ivifjv/a_question_about_orgagenda_performance_and_org/g5rxzf6/

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-09-30  4:35     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-30  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

a long time ago i discovered that drawers were the bottleneck.  i
removed a lot of them and got much faster loading speeds.  idk if that
is still true.

i think there is an effort to speed logbook and properties up by
changing from overlays to text properties or so.

recent maint is perhaps twice as fast at loading for me as the
previous release was.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30  5:01       ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-30  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

> a long time ago i discovered that drawers were the bottleneck.
> removed a lot of them and got much faster loading speeds.  idk
> if that
> is still true.

There's a thread about improving this, see:
https://orgmode.org/list/87h7x9e5jo.fsf@localhost/

Just in case that's of interest :)

Timothy.

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30  5:13         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-30  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC, Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> There's a thread about improving this, see:
> https://orgmode.org/list/87h7x9e5jo.fsf@localhost/
>
> Just in case that's of interest :)

If anyone is interested, any feedback and/or testing will be
appreciated. The relevant patch is complete in terms of functionality
now.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-09-30 16:37   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 23:06, Jeremie Juste wrote:
> A 1.6M org file took a little under 7 sec on my computer.

A 2.1MB file took about 11 seconds on my computer (not new but high spec 8 years ago: multiple Xeon processors with a lot of memory but probably slow disk).

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-38-g16f505

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-09-30 19:10   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-09-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "JJ" == Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jeremie

> Hello Uwe,
> Can you test with emacs -Q ?

I did and then it is much much faster, so the question is which of my
dozens of org files slow it down.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30 19:13         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-09-30 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "T" == TEC  <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

>> a long time ago i discovered that drawers were the bottleneck. i
>> removed a lot of them and got much faster loading speeds.  idk if
>> that
>> is still true.

> There's a thread about improving this, see:
> https://orgmode.org/list/87h7x9e5jo.fsf@localhost/

Thanks I tried it out. Did not really help :-(

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30 22:27     ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2020-09-30 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Uwe,

Very well, it seems that we are on the right track. So you might gain
some speed by preventing some minor modes to load at the beginning and
load only when you need them.

Like Ihor Radchenko mentioned in his previous a great way to diagnose
the issu would be the following:

1. M-x profiler-start cpu
2. open your file
3. M-x profiler-report

It will let you see which functions are slowing you down.

HTH,
--
Jeremie Juste

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-09-30 22:33           ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2020-09-30 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-10-01  8:41       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-10-01  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "JJ" == Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Uwe,
> Very well, it seems that we are on the right track. So you might gain
> some speed by preventing some minor modes to load at the beginning and
> load only when you need them.

> Like Ihor Radchenko mentioned in his previous a great way to diagnose
> the issu would be the following:

> 1. M-x profiler-start cpu
> 2. open your file
> 3. M-x profiler-report

> It will let you see which functions are slowing you down.

Thanks! I did it. But I am a bit puzzled about the outcome:

+ redisplay_internal (C function)                                1724  82%
+ command-execute                                                 215  10%
+ ...                                                             117   5%
+ timer-event-handler                                              22   1%
  global-orglink-mode-check-buffers                                 1   0%

Not sure what to do with stuff on the C level.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: opening a 0.5 MB org file is slow
@ 2020-10-01  8:44         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-10-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

> + redisplay_internal (C function)                                1724  82%
> Not sure what to do with stuff on the C level.

Look inside that branch. Most likely redisplay is calling font-lock
staff. You need to check what particular part of fontification is slow.

Best,
Ihor