* Capture the mouse-highlight help-text in a file?
@ 2012-03-15 16:49 brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2012-03-15 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* I know that this will toggle the mouse-highlight "messages that pop-up"
when you move a mouse over a "LINK: " in OrgMode:

(setq mouse-highlight (not mouse-highlight))

** Now, is there a simple way to send the "messages that pop-up" to a file?

*** Maybe to a FIFO?

* Re: Capture the mouse-highlight help-text in a file?
@ 2012-03-15 17:06 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-15 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian powell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

brian powell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> wrote:

> * I know that this will toggle the mouse-highlight "messages that pop-up" when you move a mouse over
> a "LINK: " in OrgMode:
>
> (setq mouse-highlight (not mouse-highlight))
>
> ** Now, is there a simple way to send the "messages that pop-up" to a file?

They are already in a file: the org file that contains the link.
A link like this  [[file:foo.txt][foo]] pops up a LINK: file:foo.txt
balloon, so a suitable grep/sed combination suffices.

But I suspect that this is not a satisfactory answer: what exactly are
you trying to do?

Nick

@ 2012-03-15 17:39   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2012-03-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Thanks, Nick--I have been pursuing that idea--maybe just extract the
regexp, sed/grep etc.

** But I was just thinking maybe there is a simple way to capture the pop
up "LINK: file:foo.txt balloon" as you put it--into a file or fifo.

*** Then all sorts of things could be done with it--I'm thinking maybe
OrgMode could be used with the lights out/if your blind/screen blinks
out---well, OrgMode could be partially used...one could pipe it to a
text-to-speech program for example---and/or logging where the mouse has
been in an OrgMode document.

@ 2012-03-15 18:17     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-15 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian powell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

brian powell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Thanks, Nick--I have been pursuing that idea--maybe just extract the regexp, sed/grep etc.
>
> ** But I was just thinking maybe there is a simple way to capture the pop up "LINK:
> file:foo.txt balloon" as you put it--into a file or fifo.
>
> *** Then all sorts of things could be done with it--I'm thinking maybe OrgMode could be used with
> the lights out/if your blind/screen blinks out---well, OrgMode could be partially used...one could
> pipe it to a text-to-speech program for example---and/or logging where the mouse has been in an
> OrgMode document.

I see - afaik, the balloon appears only on the screen and is not logged anywhere.
I certainly don't know of any way to capture it as it happens. It seems to happen
deep in emacs's nether regions (in C code afaict), but I didn't chase it down
too far.

Nick