From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
To: Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: org-mode and appointments
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:17:59 -0500	[thread overview]

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> wrote:

> I'm kicking off zenity (GUI notification window) via shell-command and
> putting it in the background. Emacs keeps opening a new window called
> *Async Shell Command*, even though I thought I disabled that by
> passing nil to the output buffer argument.

Try the following instead:

      (setq appt-display-format 'window)
      (setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))
      (defun my-appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time msg)
        (call-process "/home/nick/bin/popup.py" nil 0 nil min-to-app msg new-time))

This one calls my home-grown ``popupper'', so just change the string to
call zenity, and change the args to what is needed. The 0 in the "nil 0
nil" part means discard any output and don't wait for the process to
finish - see the documentation for call-process for more details.

For more, check the list archives or worg: I had posted my method for
popups to the list and Bastien has apparently put a pointer to it on
worg somewhere.

HTH,
Nick