* table as parameter for latex block
@ 2012-03-18  8:40 Martin Halder
From: Martin Halder @ 2012-03-18  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

was trying to use a table as input for a latex block. Is there a way to directly reference parts of the table inside the block or do I have to specify each parameter as separate parameter ?

Thanks for help,
Martin

This is working:

#+tblname: data
| Name    | John Doe     |
| Address | Doestreet 42 |
| Country | Doecountry   |

#+name: invoice(name=data[0,1], address=data[1,1], country=data[2,1])
#+begin_src latex
name
address
country
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: invoice
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
John Doe
Doestreet 42
Doecountry
#+END_LaTeX

what I would like to do:

#+name: invoice(data=data)
#+begin_src latex
data[0,1]
data[1,1]
data[2,1]
#+end_src

or even better:

#+name: invoice(data=data)
#+begin_src latex
data['Name']
data['Adress']
data['Country']
#+end_src

* Re: table as parameter for latex block
@ 2012-03-18 18:29 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-03-18 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Halder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martin Halder <martin.halder@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> was trying to use a table as input for a latex block. Is there a way to directly reference parts of the table inside the block or do I have to specify each parameter as separate parameter ?
>
> Thanks for help,
> Martin
Aloha Martin,

Can I ask why you want to use a table as input for a latex block?  An
alternative is to send the table to a source block in some other
language and then evaluate with :results latex.  The advantage is that
the other language can have loops and complex data types that make it
relatively easy to deal with tables.  It might be possible to do these
kinds of things with TeX, but it is likely to be difficult.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: table as parameter for latex block
@ 2012-03-18 19:10   ` Martin Halder
From: Martin Halder @ 2012-03-18 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Martin Halder <martin.halder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> was trying to use a table as input for a latex block. Is there a way to directly reference parts of the table inside the block or do I have to specify each parameter as separate parameter ?
>>
>> Thanks for help,
>> Martin
> Aloha Martin,
>
> Can I ask why you want to use a table as input for a latex block?  An
> alternative is to send the table to a source block in some other
> language and then evaluate with :results latex.  The advantage is that
> the other language can have loops and complex data types that make it
> relatively easy to deal with tables.  It might be possible to do these
> kinds of things with TeX, but it is likely to be difficult.
>
> hth,
> Tom

Aloha Tom,

the reason was that I have a quite complex latex file in a src latex block (which I tangle)
and just wanted to replace some variables from a table.

But :results latex looks very interesting, will have a look if I can solve it with that one,
many thanks for the hint.

This is my use case, the example below was maybe too much simplified:

#begin_src latex
... weird latex code
	\put(-2,-50){
		\parbox{8cm}{
			\tiny{mycompany - mystree - mycountry}\\ \\
			\normalsize
			\textbf{company}\\
			street\\
			\textbf{country}
			\vspace{2mm}\\
		}
	}
... weird latex code
#end_src latex

Cheers,
Martin

@ 2012-03-18 19:29     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-03-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Halder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martin Halder <martin.halder@gmail.com> writes:

>> Martin Halder <martin.halder@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> was trying to use a table as input for a latex block. Is there a way to directly reference parts of the table inside the block or do I have to specify each parameter as separate parameter ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for help,
>>> Martin
>> Aloha Martin,
>>
>> Can I ask why you want to use a table as input for a latex block?  An
>> alternative is to send the table to a source block in some other
>> language and then evaluate with :results latex.  The advantage is that
>> the other language can have loops and complex data types that make it
>> relatively easy to deal with tables.  It might be possible to do these
>> kinds of things with TeX, but it is likely to be difficult.
>>
>> hth,
>> Tom
>
> Aloha Tom,
>
> the reason was that I have a quite complex latex file in a src latex block (which I tangle)
> and just wanted to replace some variables from a table.
>
> But :results latex looks very interesting, will have a look if I can solve it with that one,
> many thanks for the hint.
>
> This is my use case, the example below was maybe too much simplified:
>
> #begin_src latex
> ... weird latex code
> 	\put(-2,-50){
> 		\parbox{8cm}{
> 			\tiny{mycompany - mystree - mycountry}\\ \\
> 			\normalsize
> 			\textbf{company}\\
> 			street\\
> 			\textbf{country}
> 			\vspace{2mm}\\
> 		}
> 	}
> ... weird latex code
> #end_src latex

Aloha Martin,

Here is the basic idea in pseudo python.

#begin_src python :results output latex
 ... weird latex code
s = ''' 	\\put(-2,-50){
 		\\parbox{8cm}{
 			\\tiny{%s - %s - %s}\\\\ \\\\
 			\\normalsize
 			\\textbf{%s}\\\\
 			street\\\\
 			\\textbf{%s}
 			\\vspace{2mm}\\\\
 		}
 	}''' % (mycompany, mystree, mycountry, company, country)
print s
 ... weird latex code
#end_src python

hth,
Tom

> Cheers,
> Martin
>

>>> This is working:
>>>
>>> #+tblname: data
>>> | Name    | John Doe     |
>>> | Address | Doestreet 42 |
>>> | Country | Doecountry   |
>>>
>>> #+name: invoice(name=data[0,1], address=data[1,1], country=data[2,1])
>>> #+begin_src latex
>>> name
>>> address
>>> country
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+RESULTS: invoice
>>> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>>> John Doe
>>> Doestreet 42
>>> Doecountry
>>> #+END_LaTeX
>>>
>>> what I would like to do:
>>>
>>> #+name: invoice(data=data)
>>> #+begin_src latex
>>> data[0,1]
>>> data[1,1]
>>> data[2,1]
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> or even better:
>>>
>>> #+name: invoice(data=data)
>>> #+begin_src latex
>>> data['Name']
>>> data['Adress']

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: table as parameter for latex block
@ 2012-03-18 19:55       ` Martin Halder
From: Martin Halder @ 2012-03-18 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Martin Halder <martin.halder@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Aloha Martin,
>>>
>>> Can I ask why you want to use a table as input for a latex block?  An
>>> alternative is to send the table to a source block in some other
>>> language and then evaluate with :results latex.  The advantage is that
>>> the other language can have loops and complex data types that make it
>>> relatively easy to deal with tables.  It might be possible to do these
>>> kinds of things with TeX, but it is likely to be difficult.
>>>
>>> hth,
>>> Tom
>>
>> Aloha Tom,
>>
>> the reason was that I have a quite complex latex file in a src latex block (which I tangle)
>> and just wanted to replace some variables from a table.
>>
>> But :results latex looks very interesting, will have a look if I can solve it with that one,
>> many thanks for the hint.
>>
>> This is my use case, the example below was maybe too much simplified:
>>
>> #begin_src latex
>> ... weird latex code
>> 	\put(-2,-50){
>> 		\parbox{8cm}{
>> 			\tiny{mycompany - mystree - mycountry}\\ \\
>> 			\normalsize
>> 			\textbf{company}\\
>> 			street\\
>> 			\textbf{country}
>> 			\vspace{2mm}\\
>> 		}
>> 	}
>> ... weird latex code
>> #end_src latex
>
> Aloha Martin,
>
> Here is the basic idea in pseudo python.
>
> #begin_src python :results output latex
> ... weird latex code
> s = ''' 	\\put(-2,-50){
> 		\\parbox{8cm}{
> 			\\tiny{%s - %s - %s}\\\\ \\\\
> 			\\normalsize
> 			\\textbf{%s}\\\\
> 			street\\\\
> 			\\textbf{%s}
> 			\\vspace{2mm}\\\\
> 		}
> 	}''' % (mycompany, mystree, mycountry, company, country)
> print s
> ... weird latex code
> #end_src python
>
> hth,
> Tom

Aloha Tom,

great, thanks. This one is working. Did not think about sending the whole file through python.

Cheers,
Martin