* schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-12 15:40 David Lee
From: David Lee @ 2010-05-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

After insert schedule and deadline by C-c C-s, C-c C-d, I switch buffer
by ido-mode command ido-switch-buffer.

Emacs will give out a message:
Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)

And ido-switch-buffer doesn't work.

My environment: Emacs 23.1, Org-mode 6.36.

Thanks,
- David

* Re: schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-12 15:46 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lee; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

David Lee <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:

> After insert schedule and deadline by C-c C-s, C-c C-d, I switch
> buffer by ido-mode command ido-switch-buffer.
>
> Emacs will give out a message:
> Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)
>
> And ido-switch-buffer doesn't work.
>
> My environment: Emacs 23.1, Org-mode 6.36.

Please post a backtrace. To find out how to get a backtrace, read
section 1.4, "Feedback", of the Org manual.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-13  1:49   ` David Lee
From: David Lee @ 2010-05-13  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/12/2010 11:46 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> David Lee<zhushenli2@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> After insert schedule and deadline by C-c C-s, C-c C-d, I switch
>> buffer by ido-mode command ido-switch-buffer.
>>
>> Emacs will give out a message:
>> Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)
>>
>> And ido-switch-buffer doesn't work.
>>
>> My environment: Emacs 23.1, Org-mode 6.36.
>>

> Please post a backtrace. To find out how to get a backtrace, read
> section 1.4, "Feedback", of the Org manual.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Hi Nick, thanks.

I turn on "Enter Debugger On error" all the time, and follow the
instruction in Org Info.
But I cannot get the backtrace, seems its not an *error* (didn't fire up
elisp debugger), but just a message?

The conflict make me give up schedule/deadline.

So, any other suggestion on get the backtrace?

@ 2010-05-13  2:26     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-13  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lee; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

David Lee <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/12/2010 11:46 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> > David Lee<zhushenli2@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >

> >> After insert schedule and deadline by C-c C-s, C-c C-d, I switch
> >> buffer by ido-mode command ido-switch-buffer.
> >>
> >> Emacs will give out a message:
> >> Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)
> >>
> >> And ido-switch-buffer doesn't work.
> >>
> >> My environment: Emacs 23.1, Org-mode 6.36.
> >>

> > Please post a backtrace. To find out how to get a backtrace, read
> > section 1.4, "Feedback", of the Org manual.
> >

> I turn on "Enter Debugger On error" all the time, and follow the
> instruction in Org Info.
> But I cannot get the backtrace, seems its not an *error* (didn't fire
> up elisp debugger), but just a message?
>
> The conflict make me give up schedule/deadline.
>
> So, any other suggestion on get the backtrace?

Nope - no ideas/suggestions: seems to me it should have triggered.

What's the value of post-command-hook just before you get the error?
Note that that's a buffer-local variable, so you'll have to evaluate it
(using `C-h v post-command-hook <RET>') in the correct buffer.

Nick

* Re: schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-13  3:04       ` David Lee
From: David Lee @ 2010-05-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/13/2010 10:26 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> David Lee<zhushenli2@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Please post a backtrace. To find out how to get a backtrace, read
>>> section 1.4, "Feedback", of the Org manual.
>>>

>> I turn on "Enter Debugger On error" all the time, and follow the
>> instruction in Org Info.
>> But I cannot get the backtrace, seems its not an *error* (didn't fire
>> up elisp debugger), but just a message?
>>
>> The conflict make me give up schedule/deadline.
>>
>> So, any other suggestion on get the backtrace?
>>

> Nope - no ideas/suggestions: seems to me it should have triggered.
>
> What's the value of post-command-hook just before you get the error?
> Note that that's a buffer-local variable, so you'll have to evaluate it
> (using `C-h v post-command-hook<RET>') in the correct buffer.
>
> Nick

Hi, Nick, the error is not consistent, and I cannot always capture it.
Is it related to the variable org-ans1?

 From my local buffer (I am *not* very sure whether the value is before
the error, since sometimes C-h v affect the error conditions and make
ido-switch-buffer work, I will try to investigate the error when I can
reproduce it):

;;;
post-command-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
(linum-update-current t flyspell-post-command-hook)

Local in buffer emacs.org; global value is
(global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
global-auto-composition-mode-check-buffers
global-linum-mode-check-buffers cua--post-command-handler)

- David

* Re: UPDATE schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-14  8:27         ` David Lee
From: David Lee @ 2010-05-14  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/13/2010 11:04 AM, David Lee wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 10:26 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>> David Lee<zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I turn on "Enter Debugger On error" all the time, and follow the
>>> instruction in Org Info.
>>> But I cannot get the backtrace, seems its not an *error* (didn't fire
>>> up elisp debugger), but just a message?
>>>
>>> The conflict make me give up schedule/deadline.
>>>
>>> So, any other suggestion on get the backtrace?
>>>

>> Nope - no ideas/suggestions: seems to me it should have triggered.
>>
>> What's the value of post-command-hook just before you get the error?
>> Note that that's a buffer-local variable, so you'll have to evaluate it
>> (using `C-h v post-command-hook<RET>') in the correct buffer.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Hi, Nick, the error is not consistent, and I cannot always capture it.
> Is it related to the variable org-ans1?
>
>  From my local buffer (I am *not* very sure whether the value is before
> the error, since sometimes C-h v affect the error conditions and make
> ido-switch-buffer work, I will try to investigate the error when I can
> reproduce it):
>
> ;;;
> post-command-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> Its value is
> (linum-update-current t flyspell-post-command-hook)
>
> Local in buffer emacs.org; global value is
> (global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
> global-auto-composition-mode-check-buffers
> global-linum-mode-check-buffers cua--post-command-handler)
>

> - David

I tried DEADLINE today. The steps are:
1. C-c C-d to add DEADLINE, choose date from calendar.

2. Try ido-switch-buffer, didn't work and Emacs show
Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)

3. C-h v post-command-hook, Emacs show
post-command-hook\ \ \  is void as a variable.

4. Try ido-switch-buffer, it worked.

So, I use *C-h v post-command-hook* to solve the problem :)

Emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu9.04, Org-mode 6.36.

* Re: UPDATE schedule/deadline and ido-mode conflict
@ 2010-05-14 11:33           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lee; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On May 14, 2010, at 10:27 AM, David Lee wrote:

> On 05/13/2010 11:04 AM, David Lee wrote:

>>> Nope - no ideas/suggestions: seems to me it should have triggered.
>>>
>>> What's the value of post-command-hook just before you get the error?
>>> Note that that's a buffer-local variable, so you'll have to
>>> evaluate it
>>> (using `C-h v post-command-hook<RET>') in the correct buffer.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

>> Hi, Nick, the error is not consistent, and I cannot always capture
>> it.
>> Is it related to the variable org-ans1?
>>
>> From my local buffer (I am *not* very sure whether the value is
>> before
>> the error, since sometimes C-h v affect the error conditions and make
>> ido-switch-buffer work, I will try to investigate the error when I
>> can
>> reproduce it):
>>
>> ;;;
>> post-command-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>> Its value is
>> (linum-update-current t flyspell-post-command-hook)
>>
>> Local in buffer emacs.org; global value is
>> (global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
>> global-auto-composition-mode-check-buffers
>> global-linum-mode-check-buffers cua--post-command-handler)
>>

>> - David
>
> I tried DEADLINE today. The steps are:
> 1. C-c C-d to add DEADLINE, choose date from calendar.

How exactly do you choose it?  Keyboard,mouse? List the exact key/
envents, please

- Carsten

@ 2010-10-12  8:57             ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2010-10-12  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

14/05/10 13:33, Carsten Dominik
> On May 14, 2010, at 10:27 AM, David Lee wrote:

>>> Hi, Nick, the error is not consistent, and I cannot always capture
>>> it.
>>> Is it related to the variable org-ans1?
>>>
>>> From my local buffer (I am *not* very sure whether the value is
>>> before
>>> the error, since sometimes C-h v affect the error conditions and make
>>> ido-switch-buffer work, I will try to investigate the error when I
>>> can
>>> reproduce it):
>>>
>>> ;;;
>>> post-command-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>>> Its value is
>>> (linum-update-current t flyspell-post-command-hook)
>>>
>>> Local in buffer emacs.org; global value is
>>> (global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
>>> global-auto-composition-mode-check-buffers
>>> global-linum-mode-check-buffers cua--post-command-handler)
>>>

>>> - David
>>
>> I tried DEADLINE today. The steps are:
>> 1. C-c C-d to add DEADLINE, choose date from calendar.
>
> How exactly do you choose it?  Keyboard,mouse? List the exact key/
> envents, please
>
> - Carsten

Hi,

I get the same bug when selecting a date by mouse. It seems that
org-read-date-display is added to post-command-hook and never
deleted. The code responsible for this seems to be:

	    (unwind-protect
		(progn
		  (use-local-map map)
		  (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'org-read-date-display)
		  (setq org-ans0 (read-string prompt default-input
					      'org-read-date-history nil))
		  ;; org-ans0: from prompt
		  ;; org-ans1: from mouse click
		  ;; org-ans2: from calendar motion
		  (setq ans (concat org-ans0 " " (or org-ans1 org-ans2))))
	      (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'org-read-date-display)

After the bug happens, every command causes the error (void-variable
org-ans1). post-command-hook looks like:

post-command-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is nil
Local in buffer *followup to Carsten Dominik on gmane.emacs.orgmode*;
global value is

(global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
global-highlight-parentheses-mode-check-buffers
autopair-global-mode-check-buffers org-read-date-display)

(it is locally set to nil by emacs after an error is triggered, see the
help page of post-command-hook)