* filtering timeline view
@ 2009-01-29  4:03 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2009-01-29  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to filter the timeline view (agenda) by tag and/or by
headline regexp?

I use orgmode for a research notebook, where the outline organizes
ideas on various projects and sub-projects.
I put timestamps into entries when I work on them, so that I can use
the Timeline agenda view to quickly find recently
worked-on items.  But I want to be able to find only the _important_
recently worked-on items, skipping things like
temporary brainstorming notes.   I can tag the important items (or the
unimportant items) with particular tags,
or with particular strings in the headlines; but is there a way to
restrict the timeline view based on that info?

thanks,

ilya

* Re: filtering timeline view
@ 2009-01-29 13:18 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-01-29 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Is it possible to filter the timeline view (agenda) by tag and/or by
> headline regexp?
>
> I use orgmode for a research notebook, where the outline organizes
> ideas on various projects and sub-projects.
> I put timestamps into entries when I work on them, so that I can use
> the Timeline agenda view to quickly find recently
> worked-on items.  But I want to be able to find only the _important_
> recently worked-on items, skipping things like
> temporary brainstorming notes.   I can tag the important items (or the
> unimportant items) with particular tags,
> or with particular strings in the headlines; but is there a way to
> restrict the timeline view based on that info?

Filtering by tags is easy - in the agenda use / and then one of your
quick keys for tags or TAB to specify any tag to filter on.

-Bernt

* Re: filtering timeline view
@ 2009-01-29 20:03   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2009-01-29 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks!
Is there a way to include this secondary filter into a custom agenda view?

Also, a couple of suggestions for the agenda view:

    - C-h C-m should display the available commands, like in other Emacs modes
    - there should be a command to remotely visibility-cycle the
currently highlighted node in the original org buffer
    - days on which there are no agenda entries after secondary
filtering should be removed from the timeline list
    - would be good to be able to do a secondary filter on the
contents of the entries (like with keyword search), rather than just
on the tags.

In general, the number of commands to remember seems very large.
It would be good if there was, in addition, a simple general way to
select a subset of the entries,
specifying:
   - whether to search just this file or all agenda files
   - what regexp the entry header and/or the entry text must match, or not match
   - what tags the entry must have or not have
   - what date range the entry must be labelled with
then specifying how to sort the results: by date, (then) by tag;
ascending/descending; etc.

  It would also be good if some of these conditions could be entered
dynamically at the prompt, where they would be lisp-compiled and
applied to generate the needed agenda.

ilya

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to filter the timeline view (agenda) by tag and/or by
>> headline regexp?
>>
>> I use orgmode for a research notebook, where the outline organizes
>> ideas on various projects and sub-projects.
>> I put timestamps into entries when I work on them, so that I can use
>> the Timeline agenda view to quickly find recently
>> worked-on items.  But I want to be able to find only the _important_
>> recently worked-on items, skipping things like
>> temporary brainstorming notes.   I can tag the important items (or the
>> unimportant items) with particular tags,
>> or with particular strings in the headlines; but is there a way to
>> restrict the timeline view based on that info?
>
> Filtering by tags is easy - in the agenda use / and then one of your
> quick keys for tags or TAB to specify any tag to filter on.
>
> -Bernt

* Re: Re: filtering timeline view
@ 2009-01-29 23:31     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-29 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Ilya Shlyakhter wrote:

> Thanks!
> Is there a way to include this secondary filter into a custom agenda
> view?
>
> Also, a couple of suggestions for the agenda view:
>
>    - C-h C-m should display the available commands, like in other
> Emacs modes
>    - there should be a command to remotely visibility-cycle the
> currently highlighted node in the original org buffer
>    - days on which there are no agenda entries after secondary
> filtering should be removed from the timeline list
>    - would be good to be able to do a secondary filter on the
> contents of the entries (like with keyword search), rather than just
> on the tags.
>
> In general, the number of commands to remember seems very large.
> It would be good if there was, in addition, a simple general way to
> select a subset of the entries,
> specifying:
>   - whether to search just this file or all agenda files
>   - what regexp the entry header and/or the entry text must match,
> or not match
>   - what tags the entry must have or not have
>   - what date range the entry must be labelled with
> then specifying how to sort the results: by date, (then) by tag;
> ascending/descending; etc.
>
>  It would also be good if some of these conditions could be entered
> dynamically at the prompt, where they would be lisp-compiled and
> applied to generate the needed agenda.

Hi Ilya,

start with the manual, and the FAQ, and then see what remains
of your questions/requests.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-08 19:27       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Ilya Shlyakhter, emacs-orgmode

OK, lets try to be a bit more forthcoming and give some answers...

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:31 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Ilya Shlyakhter wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>> Is there a way to include this secondary filter into a custom
>> agenda view?
>>
>> Also, a couple of suggestions for the agenda view:
>>
>>   - C-h C-m should display the available commands, like in other
>> Emacs modes

`C-h C-m' shows the Emacs manual.  `C-h m' shows the mode
documentation, and
in the Agenda mode it does show all available commands.
Furthermore, both org-mode and org-agenda-mode have menus which
contain a pretty complete list of commands.  So does the printable
refcard.

>>   - there should be a command to remotely visibility-cycle the
>> currently highlighted node in the original org buffer

Would you like to suggest a key for such a command?
Note also the variables org-show-hierarchy-above and its siblings
which can be configured so that more context becomes visible when a
command is shown from the agenda.

>>   - days on which there are no agenda entries after secondary
>> filtering should be removed from the timeline list

THis is hard, and just icing on the cake.  Not necessary in my view.

>>   - would be good to be able to do a secondary filter on the
>> contents of the entries (like with keyword search), rather than just
>> on the tags.

There is a search view which searches headline and content
for text and regexps.  You can then drill down with tags.

>> In general, the number of commands to remember seems very large.

That sounds life experience and wisdom.  In what context do you mean
that?

>> It would be good if there was, in addition, a simple general way to
>> select a subset of the entries,
>> specifying:
>>  - whether to search just this file or all agenda files
>>  - what regexp the entry header and/or the entry text must match,
>> or not match
>>  - what tags the entry must have or not have
>>  - what date range the entry must be labelled with
>> then specifying how to sort the results: by date, (then) by tag;
>> ascending/descending; etc.

`C-c a m' is at least half-way what you want.

>> It would also be good if some of these conditions could be entered
>> dynamically at the prompt, where they would be lisp-compiled and
>> applied to generate the needed agenda.

Again C-c a m does this, after you have remembered how
the syntax for tags and property searches works.

- Carsten