From: TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:21:54 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello *,

I just banged out a bit of Elisp implementing a new Orgmode link type
for navigating Ordered (i.e., numbered/lettered) Plain Lists.[0]

As I tend to use Plain Lists extensively when taking notes, this is
something I (personally) have been wanting for some time.  But maybe
others might also find it useful.

Here is a teaser, copied from my (working title) ol-plo.el file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   ;;; Commentary

   ;; Implements an Orgmode link type for nagivagting to other
   ;; locations within the same Ordered (numbered) Plain List in
   ;; Orgmode.
   ;;
   ;; The link type is "plo:" for Plain List, Ordered (see Plain
   ;; List section of Orgmode manual).
   ;;
   ;; Example: Following Orgmode link at position [Y] like
   ;; [[plo:1.2.1.][Description]] would move point from [Y] to [X]
   ;; below:
   ;;
   ;; * Heading
   ;;
   ;; 1. Section
   ;;    1. Subheading
   ;;    2. Another subheading
   ;;       1. [X]Link to
   ;; 2. Another Section
   ;;       1. Link from [Y]
   ;;
#+end_src

If there is any interest, I could post it up somewhere.  In which case,
more questions arise:

1. Where should this live?
    a. In Orgmode itself?
    b. In contrib?
    c. As an outside package?

Hence my thought to first float the idea on the mailing list.

I am also unsure I even like "plo:", maybe it should be "opl:" (for
Ordered Plain List)?  Or even something else?

Discuss!  :)

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-Lists.html