* wish list: underscore
@ 2010-05-10 20:43 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-05-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In Org files putting an underscore at each of a word begets an ugly
underline that extends to the original underscores and doubles them.

In Gnus mail putting an underscore at each end of a _word_ begets an
expected result of underlining the word itself.

I wish that Org would do that too, or at least leave it alone like say
info does.

* Re: wish list: underscore
@ 2010-05-14 12:45 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-14 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 10, 2010, at 10:43 PM, Sean Sieger wrote:

> In Org files putting an underscore at each of a word begets an ugly
> underline that extends to the original underscores and doubles them.
>
> In Gnus mail putting an underscore at each end of a _word_ begets an
> expected result of underlining the word itself.
>
> I wish that Org would do that too, or at least leave it alone like say
> info does.

(setq org-hide-emphasis-markers t)

But I have never used this, so I am not sure if this does not have
unwanted side effect, for example in table formatting.

Besides, I think underlining is supposed to be italics of bold these
days / underlining is really a leftover from mechanical typewriters

For example:

"The APA Style Manual favors italics, especially for manuscripts being
prepared for publication; however, underlining text is acceptable if
you are using a typewriter or a word processing program that does not
have an italics function."

HTH

- Carsten

- Carsten