From: Denis Maier <denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org>
To: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>,
	Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 21:34:44 +0200

Am 04.05.2021 um 17:27 schrieb Joost Kremers:

> On Tue, May 04 2021, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 10:47 AM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> I can add some comments regarding biblatex:
>>>
>>> - default: \parencite[1]
>>
>> WDYT of \autocite for default?
>>
>> It's conceptually the same as the CSL default.
>
> If that is the case then it's probably the better choice. The biblatex manual
> states that \autocite requires that the citation style defines a command for it
> and that it is not appropriate for author-year style citations. I assume that's
> something for the user to be aware of when using such citations?

Well, IIRC, in author-year styles \autocite is equivalent to \parencite.
I think, what the manual talks about is not that \autocite wouldn't be
appropriate for author-year styles, but rather that relying /solely/ on
\autocite doesn't give authors the flexibility they might want in these
styles, like when you want something like in your example:
```
According to \textcite[]{Jones1998} , ``students often had difficulty
using APA
style, especially when it was their first time''
\pnotecite[][199]{Jones1998}.
```

So, I think \autocite is the better choice.

Denis