* partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30  8:10 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-06-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:

Getting targets...done
funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode

I've just checked where it's supposed to be defined. On
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Completion, they say it's part of the standard
library complete.el.

"Funny" where that library is on my system:

Library is file c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs/lisp/obsolete/complete.elc

Obsoleted?

Does all this ring a bell to someone?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30  9:14 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-30  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:
>
> Getting targets...done
> funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode

thanks for reporting this -- this is indeed something wrong with the fix
I made to `org-without-partial-completion' (see my other message to Paul
Sexton).

I reverted his patch so you won't see this error again.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30 12:40   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
> > When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:
> >
> > Getting targets...done
> > funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode
>
> thanks for reporting this -- this is indeed something wrong with the fix
> I made to `org-without-partial-completion' (see my other message to Paul
> Sexton).
>
> I reverted his patch so you won't see this error again.

I'm not sure that't the problem though: the org-without-partial-completion
macro is called in a couple of places, once in org-remember.el and twice
in org.el. I'm not sure how many people still use org-remember, but I suspect
quite a few. The macro basically says: execute the body while mmaking sure
that partial-completion-body is off during the execution. At least, that's
the intent but I haven't thought through the quoting change that Paul made.

The calls:

o org-remember-apply-template: called in the g or G case to complete tags.
o org.el: in org-icompleting-read.
o org.el: in org-set-tags *around* org-icompleting-read.

The last one seems superfluous at first sight, but I haven't thought about
it yet.

In any case, these seem fairly common situations so I think it is likely
that the macro has been called hundreds of times (over the whole org population)
without ill effects.

OTOH, partial-completion-mode is called explicitly in org-refile-get-location,
like this:

     (partial-completion-mode nil)

Could it be that it is really meant to turn *off* partial completion mode?
In which case, it would be better to call the org-without-partion-completion
macro here to do the work.

In any case, this explicit call seems to be more problematic than the macro.
After all that's what Seb hit.

Nick

* Re: partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30 13:34     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-06-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, Sebastien Vauban

On Jun 30, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>>
>>> When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:
>>>
>>> Getting targets...done
>>> funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode
>>
>> thanks for reporting this -- this is indeed something wrong with the fix
>> I made to `org-without-partial-completion' (see my other message to Paul
>> Sexton).
>>
>> I reverted his patch so you won't see this error again.
>>

> I'm not sure that't the problem though: the org-without-partial-completion
> macro is called in a couple of places, once in org-remember.el and twice
> in org.el. I'm not sure how many people still use org-remember, but I suspect
> quite a few. The macro basically says: execute the body while mmaking sure
> that partial-completion-body is off during the execution. At least, that's
> the intent but I haven't thought through the quoting change that Paul made.
>
> The calls:
>
> o org-remember-apply-template: called in the g or G case to complete tags.
> o org.el: in org-icompleting-read.

> o org.el: in org-set-tags *around* org-icompleting-read.
>
> The last one seems superfluous at first sight, but I haven't thought about
> it yet.

Yes, this one is superfluous.

> In any case, these seem fairly common situations so I think it is likely
> that the macro has been called hundreds of times (over the whole org population)
> without ill effects.
>
> OTOH, partial-completion-mode is called explicitly in org-refile-get-location,
> like this:
>
>     (partial-completion-mode nil)

This is not a function-calling form, but this is part of a let form,
so it just sets the variable partial-completion-mode to nil.
In effect, this does indeed turn off partial-completion-mode for
the body of the form.

> Could it be that it is really meant to turn *off* partial completion mode?
> In which case, it would be better to call the org-without-partion-completion
> macro here to do the work.
>
> In any case, this explicit call seems to be more problematic than the macro.
> After all that's what Seb hit.
>
> Nick

- Carsten

* Re: partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30 13:35     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-06-30 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick Dokos,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> > When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:
>> >
>> > Getting targets...done
>> > funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode
>>
>> thanks for reporting this -- this is indeed something wrong with the fix I
>> made to `org-without-partial-completion' (see my other message to Paul
>> Sexton).
>>
>> I reverted his patch so you won't see this error again.
>
> I'm not sure that't the problem though: the org-without-partial-completion
> macro is called in a couple of places, once in org-remember.el and twice in
> org.el.
>
> [...]
>
> In any case, this explicit call seems to be more problematic than the macro.
> After all that's what Seb hit.

I cannot give more information about that, except that the problem disappeared
in the last git pull. But, as you say, sometimes, real culprits can be
elsewhere...

Just to be complete, I also noticed a problem when giving a title to some
region I was capturing thru a template: SPC was not translated into a real
space, but tried to complete my word.

I could execute C-h k and see that SPC was bound to one of the
minibuffer-complete functions.

This has, as well, disappeared now. Related?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2011-06-30 14:05       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Sebastien Vauban

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > OTOH, partial-completion-mode is called explicitly in =
> > org-refile-get-location, like this:  (partial-completion-mode nil)
>
> This is not a function-calling form, but this is part of a let form,
> so it just sets the variable partial-completion-mode to nil.
> In effect, this does indeed turn off partial-completion-mode for
> the body of the form.

Ah, sorry - I missed that - not enough caffeine in my system yet.
That cannot be it then.

Nick

* Re: partial-completion-mode error when refiling
@ 2011-06-30 15:07       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

>> o org.el: in org-set-tags *around* org-icompleting-read.
>>
>> The last one seems superfluous at first sight, but I haven't thought about
>> it yet.
>
> Yes, this one is superfluous.

I just removed it, thanks.

--