* Org-special-blogs does not make well-formed xhtml
@ 2011-10-03 12:44 Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-03 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi,

XHTML produced with Org-special-blocks is not well-formed; <div> tags
get wrapped in <p> tags. Example:

    Some text.

    #+begin_sidebar
      Some details left out of the main text.

      Some more details.
    #+end_sidebar

    Some more text.

This results in the following html, which causes XML processors to fail.

      Some details left out of the main text.
      Some more details.
    Some more text.

The problem seems to be fixed by un-commenting the fifth line in the
below function in org-special-blocks.el:

    (defun org-special-blocks-convert-html-special-cookies ()
      "Converts the special cookies into div blocks."
      ;; Uses the dynamically-bound variable `line'.
      (when (string-match "^ORG-\\(.*\\)-\\(START\\|END\\)$" line)
    ;    (org-close-par-maybe)
        (message "%s" (match-string 1))
        (if (equal (match-string 2 line) "START")
	   (insert "<div class=\"" (match-string 1 line) "\">\n")
	 (insert "</div>\n"))
        (throw 'nextline nil)))

Does anyone know if that was commented out for a reason?

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Org-special-blogs does not make well-formed xhtml
@ 2011-10-03 13:26 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-03 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Christian Moe,

Christian Moe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> XHTML produced with Org-special-blocks is not well-formed; <div> tags
> get wrapped in <p> tags. Example:
>
>     Some text.
>
>     #+begin_sidebar
>       Some details left out of the main text.
>
>       Some more details.
>     #+end_sidebar
>
>     Some more text.
>
> This results in the following html, which causes XML processors to fail.

>       Some details left out of the main text.
>       Some more details.
>     Some more text.
>
> The problem seems to be fixed by un-commenting the fifth line in the
> below function in org-special-blocks.el:
>
>     (defun org-special-blocks-convert-html-special-cookies ()
>       "Converts the special cookies into div blocks."
>       ;; Uses the dynamically-bound variable `line'.
>       (when (string-match "^ORG-\\(.*\\)-\\(START\\|END\\)$" line)
>     ;    (org-close-par-maybe)
>         (message "%s" (match-string 1))
>         (if (equal (match-string 2 line) "START")
> 	   (insert "<div class=\"" (match-string 1 line) "\">\n")
> 	 (insert "</div>\n"))
>         (throw 'nextline nil)))
>
> Does anyone know if that was commented out for a reason?

git blame suggests it was there since that file org-special-blocks.el has been
added (in contrib/lisp, by Carsten, on 2009-05-07 13:53)...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-special-blogs does not make well-formed xhtml
@ 2011-10-04 11:23   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-04 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 3, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Christian Moe,
>
> Christian Moe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> XHTML produced with Org-special-blocks is not well-formed; <div> tags
>> get wrapped in <p> tags. Example:
>>
>>    Some text.
>>
>>    #+begin_sidebar
>>      Some details left out of the main text.
>>
>>      Some more details.
>>    #+end_sidebar
>>
>>    Some more text.
>>
>> This results in the following html, which causes XML processors to fail.

>>      Some details left out of the main text.
>>      Some more details.
>>    Some more text.
>>
>> The problem seems to be fixed by un-commenting the fifth line in the
>> below function in org-special-blocks.el:
>>
>>    (defun org-special-blocks-convert-html-special-cookies ()
>>      "Converts the special cookies into div blocks."
>>      ;; Uses the dynamically-bound variable `line'.
>>      (when (string-match "^ORG-\\(.*\\)-\\(START\\|END\\)$" line)
>>    ;    (org-close-par-maybe)
>>        (message "%s" (match-string 1))
>>        (if (equal (match-string 2 line) "START")
>> 	   (insert "<div class=\"" (match-string 1 line) "\">\n")
>> 	 (insert "</div>\n"))
>>        (throw 'nextline nil)))
>>
>> Does anyone know if that was commented out for a reason?
>
> git blame suggests it was there since that file org-special-blocks.el has been
> added (in contrib/lisp, by Carsten, on 2009-05-07 13:53)...
>
> Best regards,
>  Seb
>
> --
> Sebastien Vauban

I see no reason to not uncomment this line.  Shall we just do this?

- Carsten

* Re: Org-special-blogs does not make well-formed xhtml
@ 2011-10-04 12:45     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-04 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

> I see no reason to not uncomment this line.  Shall we just do this?
>

> - Carsten

Yes, would you, please?

@ 2011-10-04 14:22       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Done...

- Carsten
On Oct 4, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Christian Moe wrote:

>> I see no reason to not uncomment this line.  Shall we just do this?
>>

>> - Carsten
>
> Yes, would you, please?
>
> Yours,
> Christian

- Carsten

* Re: Org-special-blogs does not make well-formed xhtml
@ 2011-10-04 14:36     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-04 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

> On Oct 3, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian Moe,
>>
>> Christian Moe wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> XHTML produced with Org-special-blocks is not well-formed; <div> tags
>>> get wrapped in <p> tags. Example:
>>>
>>>    Some text.
>>>
>>>    #+begin_sidebar
>>>      Some details left out of the main text.
>>>
>>>      Some more details.
>>>    #+end_sidebar
>>>
>>>    Some more text.
>>>
>>> This results in the following html, which causes XML processors to fail.

>>>      Some details left out of the main text.
>>>      Some more details.
>>>    Some more text.
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be fixed by un-commenting the fifth line in the
>>> below function in org-special-blocks.el:
>>>
>>>    (defun org-special-blocks-convert-html-special-cookies ()
>>>      "Converts the special cookies into div blocks."
>>>      ;; Uses the dynamically-bound variable `line'.
>>>      (when (string-match "^ORG-\\(.*\\)-\\(START\\|END\\)$" line)
>>>    ;    (org-close-par-maybe)
>>>        (message "%s" (match-string 1))
>>>        (if (equal (match-string 2 line) "START")
>>> 	   (insert "<div class=\"" (match-string 1 line) "\">\n")
>>> 	 (insert "</div>\n"))
>>>        (throw 'nextline nil)))
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if that was commented out for a reason?
>>
>> git blame suggests it was there since that file org-special-blocks.el has been
>> added (in contrib/lisp, by Carsten, on 2009-05-07 13:53)...
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  Seb
>>
>> --
>> Sebastien Vauban
>>

> I see no reason to not uncomment this line.  Shall we just do this?

Shouldn't a paragraph be opened/closed while entering/leaving the div.

,---- See org-xhtml-format-environment
|     (center
|      (case beg-end
|        (BEGIN
| 	(org-lparse-end-paragraph)
| 	(insert "\n<div style=\"text-align: center\">")
| 	(org-lparse-begin-paragraph))
|        (END
| 	(org-lparse-end-paragraph)
| 	(insert "\n</div>")
| 	(org-lparse-begin-paragraph))))
`----

We can always open a paragraph gratis, because empty paragraphs are
pruned at the end of export.

ps: I haven't gotten myself to understand when paragraphs are opened and
closed in the html exporter. So we can take a leaf out of the centering
environment and mimic the same behaviour with the special blocks as
well.

@ 2011-10-04 19:01       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-04 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Carsten, thanks.

Jambunathan's probably right, though, that this fix (while necessary)
is incomplete. Sorry, I hadn't thought it through.

Now, when the first paragraph of a special block comes right after the
#+BEGIN_WHATEVER line, it will just come as the first text node of the
things, any special CSS styling for <p>s will not be applied to it.

It's not a big deal -- if you need a <p> (and often you really don't)
the workaround is as simple as leaving an empty line between
#+BEGIN_WHATEVER and the first paragraph.

But I guess it would be more consistent/expected/helpful behavior for
special-blocks to start a new paragraph -- this time *after* the
opening <div> tag and not around it!

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-10-04 21:33         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-04 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

for now I have reverted the patch.  WOuld you like to work on a better one?

- Carsten

@ 2011-10-06 10:17           ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode