Org-mode mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
@ 2021-05-03 15:13 Bastien
  2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
                   ` (5 more replies)
  0 siblings, 6 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Less code is less bug and less maintainance.  So I'm considering
moving these files to the new (unmaintained) org-contrib repo at
https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib:

- ob-abc.el --- Org Babel Functions for ABC
- ob-asymptote.el --- Babel Functions for Asymptote
- ob-coq.el --- Babel Functions for Coq
- ob-ditaa.el --- Babel Functions for ditaa
- ob-ebnf.el --- Babel Functions for EBNF
- ob-hledger.el --- Babel Functions for hledger
- ob-J.el --- Babel Functions for J
- ob-ledger.el --- Babel Functions for Ledger
- ob-lilypond.el --- Babel Functions for Lilypond
- ob-mscgen.el --- Babel Functions for Mscgen
- ob-picolisp.el --- Babel Functions for Picolisp
- ob-vala.el --- Babel functions for Vala evaluation

I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
well-established.

Since I can obviously not decide alone about "well-established", would
you mind giving your advice on whether the files above can be moved to
org-contrib?  (Of course we would advertize this carefully.  And also,
there is absolutely nothing personal about perhaps moving *your* file
out of Emacs, it's just that maintainance will be easier outside.)

Are there any other?  

I'll leave this thread open during this week, no need to rush here.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
@ 2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 18:05   ` Bastien
  2021-05-04  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
  2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
  5 siblings, 2 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-05-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


This is only tangentally related, but this feels like a relevant place
to mention this and I don't think it deserves its own thread.

I think it's also worth considering deleting ob-julia.el from
org-contrib. Not to put to fine a point on things, but it's currently
dysfunctional. Trying to execute any code in a session causes Emacs to
freeze. Simply put, it was written for pre-1.0 Julia and is no longer
fit for purpose.

For the future, I'd think Julia actually warrants 1st class inclusion in
Org, and I've instigated an effort to write an ob-julia that works well.
More on this once it reaches a usable state.

-----

Regarding your the list of proposed files to move to org-contrib, I
concur that they fall under the bar you're setting.

Just going from the fact I haven't heard of them, perhaps ob-groovy.el,
ob-io.el, and ob-shen.el may be worth adding to the list?

--
Timothy

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Less code is less bug and less maintainance.  So I'm considering
> moving these files to the new (unmaintained) org-contrib repo at
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib:
>
> - ob-abc.el --- Org Babel Functions for ABC
> - ob-asymptote.el --- Babel Functions for Asymptote
> - ob-coq.el --- Babel Functions for Coq
> - ob-ditaa.el --- Babel Functions for ditaa
> - ob-ebnf.el --- Babel Functions for EBNF
> - ob-hledger.el --- Babel Functions for hledger
> - ob-J.el --- Babel Functions for J
> - ob-ledger.el --- Babel Functions for Ledger
> - ob-lilypond.el --- Babel Functions for Lilypond
> - ob-mscgen.el --- Babel Functions for Mscgen
> - ob-picolisp.el --- Babel Functions for Picolisp
> - ob-vala.el --- Babel functions for Vala evaluation
>
> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
> well-established.
>
> Since I can obviously not decide alone about "well-established", would
> you mind giving your advice on whether the files above can be moved to
> org-contrib?  (Of course we would advertize this carefully.  And also,
> there is absolutely nothing personal about perhaps moving *your* file
> out of Emacs, it's just that maintainance will be easier outside.)
>
> Are there any other?
>
> I'll leave this thread open during this week, no need to rush here.
>
> Thanks,


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
@ 2021-05-03 18:05   ` Bastien
  2021-05-03 19:36     ` Palak Mathur
  2021-05-04  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your reply.

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> For the future, I'd think Julia actually warrants 1st class inclusion in
> Org, and I've instigated an effort to write an ob-julia that works well.
> More on this once it reaches a usable state.

Great, I suggest we delete ob-julia.el from org-contrib when we can
point to this new version.

> Just going from the fact I haven't heard of them, perhaps ob-groovy.el,
> ob-io.el, and ob-shen.el may be worth adding to the list?

I agree ob-shen.el should probably move.
For ob-io.el, I was perhaps too impressed by their website.
For ob-groovy.el, I believe Groovy is quite actively used out there.

But I'll add these three to the "maybe" list.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 18:05   ` Bastien
@ 2021-05-03 19:36     ` Palak Mathur
  2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 20:33       ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Palak Mathur @ 2021-05-03 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Timothy



> On May 3, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> 
> Thanks for your reply.
> 
> Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> For the future, I'd think Julia actually warrants 1st class inclusion in
>> Org, and I've instigated an effort to write an ob-julia that works well.
>> More on this once it reaches a usable state.
> 
> Great, I suggest we delete ob-julia.el from org-contrib when we can
> point to this new version.
> 
>> Just going from the fact I haven't heard of them, perhaps ob-groovy.el,
>> ob-io.el, and ob-shen.el may be worth adding to the list?
> 
> I agree ob-shen.el should probably move.
> For ob-io.el, I was perhaps too impressed by their website.
> For ob-groovy.el, I believe Groovy is quite actively used out there.
> 
> But I'll add these three to the "maybe" list.
> 
> Thanks,

Any reason why we can’t move all ob-* files out into this new repo? 


> -- 
> Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 19:36     ` Palak Mathur
@ 2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 19:47         ` Palak Mathur
  2021-05-03 20:34         ` Bastien
  2021-05-03 20:33       ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-05-03 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palak Mathur; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode


Palak Mathur <palakmathur@gmail.com> writes:

> Any reason why we can’t move all ob-* files out into this new repo?

I trust Bastien will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is
this isn't a new repo for "miscellaneous Org stuff" more
"community-developed non-core Org stuff that isn't actively maintained".

The idea here being to move ob-* for rarely used languages to this repo
to lessen the maintenance load.

--
Timothy


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
@ 2021-05-03 19:47         ` Palak Mathur
  2021-05-03 20:34         ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Palak Mathur @ 2021-05-03 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode





> On May 3, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> Palak Mathur <palakmathur@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> Any reason why we can’t move all ob-* files out into this new repo?
> 
> I trust Bastien will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is
> this isn't a new repo for "miscellaneous Org stuff" more
> "community-developed non-core Org stuff that isn't actively maintained".
> 

Will it not make sense to separate out non-core from the core? 

> The idea here being to move ob-* for rarely used languages to this repo
> to lessen the maintenance load.
> 

In that case ob-groovy.el can be moved out. 

> --
> Timothy


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 19:36     ` Palak Mathur
  2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
@ 2021-05-03 20:33       ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palak Mathur; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Timothy

Hi Palak,

Palak Mathur <palakmathur@gmail.com> writes:

> Any reason why we can’t move all ob-* files out into this new repo? 

Yes, that's because Org Babel is a core documented feature of Org that
is not usable without these ob-*.el files.

We want to move out files that are of less importance and for which we
would like maintainance to happen elsewhere than in Org's core.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 19:47         ` Palak Mathur
@ 2021-05-03 20:34         ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Palak Mathur

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> "community-developed non-core Org stuff that isn't actively maintained".

Yes, and: "In search for maintainers."

> The idea here being to move ob-* for rarely used languages to this repo
> to lessen the maintenance load.

Yes, that's it, thanks for stating it more directly than I did.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
  2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
@ 2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
  2021-05-04 10:19   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
  2021-05-04 11:32   ` Bastien
  2021-05-03 22:19 ` Tim Cross
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
  5 siblings, 2 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2021-05-03 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Le 03 May 2021, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> a écrit :
> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
> well-established.

I happen to be an active user of ob-lilypond. Lilypond is certainly
peripheral to the world of programming languages. It is well established
and active as an equivalent of LaTeX for music though ([1][2][3]).
It comes with built-in support for Emacs [4].

I see no reason to not move ob-lilypond to org-contrib. I understand
that only few of us use it these days. I can’t stand up as a maintainer
since my Lisp skills and my knowledge of org-mode are quite insufficient
for that. I was happy to see that someone submitted a patch for
ob-lilypond in January. I hope that by the time something breaks I’ll be
able to submit a patch myself.

Regards,
Victor

[1] http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/

[2]  https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/lilypond

[3]  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/lilypond

[4]  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/usage/text-editor-support.html#emacs-mode


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
  2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
@ 2021-05-03 22:19 ` Tim Cross
  2021-05-03 23:15   ` Bastien
  2021-05-04 10:19 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  5 siblings, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-05-03 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Less code is less bug and less maintainance.  So I'm considering
> moving these files to the new (unmaintained) org-contrib repo at
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib:
>
> - ob-abc.el --- Org Babel Functions for ABC
> - ob-asymptote.el --- Babel Functions for Asymptote
> - ob-coq.el --- Babel Functions for Coq
> - ob-ditaa.el --- Babel Functions for ditaa
> - ob-ebnf.el --- Babel Functions for EBNF
> - ob-hledger.el --- Babel Functions for hledger
> - ob-J.el --- Babel Functions for J
> - ob-ledger.el --- Babel Functions for Ledger
> - ob-lilypond.el --- Babel Functions for Lilypond
> - ob-mscgen.el --- Babel Functions for Mscgen
> - ob-picolisp.el --- Babel Functions for Picolisp
> - ob-vala.el --- Babel functions for Vala evaluation
>
> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
> well-established.
>

+1 on this and the list of proposed languages.

Do any of these ob-* files have FSF copyright i.e. author assigned
copyright to FSF. Just wondering, given the contrib package will live in
non-gnu repo, if this is something we need to be concerned about or not?

Strikes me there is nothing written in stone here, so if a language
becomes popular and it has maintainers, we can always review the
decision to move it 'out' and when justified, move back into core.

I think it is good having a clear distinction and the idea that if your
using a contrib package, it is 'best effort only' and not guaranteed to
work with the most recent org version compared to 'core', which has an
expectation it works with most recent org version.

-- 
Tim Cross


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 22:19 ` Tim Cross
@ 2021-05-03 23:15   ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> +1 on this and the list of proposed languages.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Do any of these ob-* files have FSF copyright i.e. author assigned
> copyright to FSF. Just wondering, given the contrib package will live in
> non-gnu repo, if this is something we need to be concerned about or not?

All these ob-*.el files are part of Org core, so they are part of
Emacs and require the authors to sign the FSF papers.

So there is no real problem here.

org-contrib.git contains files with a free software license: most of
them are GPLv3+, a few of them GPVv2(+) and one (or two, from memory)
is using a MIT license.  So there is no blocker for org-contrib.git
to be packaged as a NonGNU package.

> Strikes me there is nothing written in stone here, so if a language
> becomes popular and it has maintainers, we can always review the
> decision to move it 'out' and when justified, move back into core.

Yes - on the other hand, we don't want to move files out of Org's core
too often.

> I think it is good having a clear distinction and the idea that if your
> using a contrib package, it is 'best effort only' and not guaranteed to
> work with the most recent org version compared to 'core', which has an
> expectation it works with most recent org version.

Yes, this is also the idea.  That's why I called for more maintainers
for the ob-*.el files, but we're not there yet, and for now it would
be too drastic IMHO to remove some ob-*.el for which we don't have a
maintainer or we are not 100% sure they are compatible.  But luckily
enough, I don't think backward compatibility problems happen often
with Babel files.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
  2021-05-03 18:05   ` Bastien
@ 2021-05-04  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
  2021-05-19  3:36     ` Jack Kamm
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-05-04  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  4 May 2021 at 01:49, Timothy wrote:
> For the future, I'd think Julia actually warrants 1st class inclusion in
> Org, and I've instigated an effort to write an ob-julia that works well.

+1!  Happy to help test if you wish.  I use Julia as my programming
language these days.

-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.5-480-g479a3d


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2021-05-03 22:19 ` Tim Cross
@ 2021-05-04 10:19 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
  2021-05-04 11:10   ` Bastien
  2021-05-06  9:19 ` Jean Louis
  2021-05-14 18:23 ` Greg Minshall
  5 siblings, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-05-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 507 bytes --]

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Less code is less bug and less maintainance.  So I'm considering
> moving these files to the new (unmaintained) org-contrib repo at
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib:
>
> - ob-ditaa.el --- Babel Functions for ditaa

This is well-established, and once I have my paperwork in place I would
offer maintenance, because this is a major part of the lectures I write
in org-mode.

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein
ohne es zu merken

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 1125 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
@ 2021-05-04 10:19   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
  2021-05-04 11:28     ` Bastien
  2021-05-04 11:32   ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-05-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor A. Stoichita; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1111 bytes --]


Victor A. Stoichita <victor@svictor.net> writes:

> Le 03 May 2021, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> a écrit :
>> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
>> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
>> well-established.
>
> I happen to be an active user of ob-lilypond. Lilypond is certainly
> peripheral to the world of programming languages. It is well established
> and active as an equivalent of LaTeX for music though ([1][2][3]).
> It comes with built-in support for Emacs [4].

Lilypond is not just well-established, it is the dominant tool for note
engraving. One of the few domains in which no proprietary comes close in
terms of quality.

I typically use it directly, but if the maintenance burden is
manageable, I could offer maintenance here, too (once I have the papers
in place).

Having support in core directly helps a lot when using the tool, because
that enables working zero-setup org-files (with some load-language in an
elisp block).

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein
ohne es zu merken

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 1125 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-04 10:19 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
@ 2021-05-04 11:10   ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-04 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> This is well-established, and once I have my paperwork in place I would
> offer maintenance, because this is a major part of the lectures I write
> in org-mode.

Thanks for volunteering here.  Let me know when the paperwork is done
so that I can you as the maintainer.

Best,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-04 10:19   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
@ 2021-05-04 11:28     ` Bastien
  2021-05-04 18:38       ` Victor A. Stoichita
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-04 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Victor A. Stoichita, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Lilypond is not just well-established, it is the dominant tool for note
> engraving. One of the few domains in which no proprietary comes close in
> terms of quality.
>
> I typically use it directly, but if the maintenance burden is
> manageable, I could offer maintenance here, too (once I have the papers
> in place).

Thanks also for this then!

> Having support in core directly helps a lot when using the tool, because
> that enables working zero-setup org-files (with some load-language in an
> elisp block).

... which is good if the package is really maintained, and calling for
trouble if it is not.  Anyway, I agree with you about the importance
of ob-lilypond.el.

Best,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
  2021-05-04 10:19   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
@ 2021-05-04 11:32   ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-04 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor A. Stoichita; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Victor,

"Victor A. Stoichita" <victor@svictor.net> writes:

> Le 03 May 2021, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> a écrit :
>> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
>> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
>> well-established.
>
> I happen to be an active user of ob-lilypond. Lilypond is certainly
> peripheral to the world of programming languages. It is well established
> and active as an equivalent of LaTeX for music though ([1][2][3]).
> It comes with built-in support for Emacs [4].

Agreed, thanks for the references!

> I see no reason to not move ob-lilypond to org-contrib. I understand
> that only few of us use it these days. I can’t stand up as a maintainer
> since my Lisp skills and my knowledge of org-mode are quite insufficient
> for that. I was happy to see that someone submitted a patch for
> ob-lilypond in January. I hope that by the time something breaks I’ll be
> able to submit a patch myself.

I hope too.

PS: Also, in general, we are not talking about shutting down a
feature: ob-*.el packages in org-contrib.git continue to be available.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-04 11:28     ` Bastien
@ 2021-05-04 18:38       ` Victor A. Stoichita
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2021-05-04 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Le 04 May 2021, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> a écrit :
>> I typically use it directly, but if the maintenance burden is
>> manageable, I could offer maintenance here, too (once I have the papers
>> in place).
>
> Thanks also for this then!
>

Thanks as well ! It’s good to know that knowledgeable people might care
for this little tool which I find very useful.

Regards,
Victor


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
  2021-05-04 10:19 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
@ 2021-05-06  9:19 ` Jean Louis
  2021-05-06  9:39   ` Bastien
  2021-05-14 18:23 ` Greg Minshall
  5 siblings, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> [2021-05-03 18:14]:
> Hi all,
> 
> Less code is less bug and less maintainance.  So I'm considering
> moving these files to the new (unmaintained) org-contrib repo at
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib:
> 
> - ob-abc.el --- Org Babel Functions for ABC
> - ob-asymptote.el --- Babel Functions for Asymptote
> - ob-coq.el --- Babel Functions for Coq
> - ob-ditaa.el --- Babel Functions for ditaa
> - ob-ebnf.el --- Babel Functions for EBNF
> - ob-hledger.el --- Babel Functions for hledger
> - ob-J.el --- Babel Functions for J
> - ob-ledger.el --- Babel Functions for Ledger
> - ob-lilypond.el --- Babel Functions for Lilypond
> - ob-mscgen.el --- Babel Functions for Mscgen
> - ob-picolisp.el --- Babel Functions for Picolisp
> - ob-vala.el --- Babel functions for Vala evaluation

Personally I use ditaa


If those files have copyrights submitted, should they not end up in
GNU ELPA?

If there are no copyrights, then I hope maintainers would include it
in NonGNU ELPA.

Is that intention?


Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

Sign an open letter in support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-06  9:19 ` Jean Louis
@ 2021-05-06  9:39   ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> If those files have copyrights submitted, should they not end up in
> GNU ELPA?

Many of the authors for files in org-contrib did not want to assign
their copyright to the FSF.  

That's one of the reasons behind the contrib/ directory in the first
place.

Also, org-contrib in NonGNU ELPA will be a transitory package: once
all the files there find a maintainer and another place where to be
hosted, I'll delete the package and the repository.

> If there are no copyrights, then I hope maintainers would include it
> in NonGNU ELPA.
>
> Is that intention?

Yes, as a transitory stage to help people install it.

Unless someone wants to maintain all the files in org-contrib and the
NonGNU ELPA package.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
  2021-05-06  9:19 ` Jean Louis
@ 2021-05-14 18:23 ` Greg Minshall
  2021-05-17 16:39   ` Greg Minshall
  5 siblings, 1 reply; 23+ messages in thread
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi, Bastien,

> 2e0375d2 — Bastien Guerry2 days ago
> lisp/ob-julia.el: Add a Homepage header

that Homepage seems to point at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git which appears to be
a (the?) full-on org-mode git repo, and which doesn't appear to have
ob-julia.el.

for whatever reason, i point at https://github.com/gjkerns/ob-julia in
case that's of use.

cheers, Greg

ps -- snooping around, trying to figure out if i understood things,
org-link-edit.el seems to lack a Homepage.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-14 18:23 ` Greg Minshall
@ 2021-05-17 16:39   ` Greg Minshall
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

> > lisp/ob-julia.el: Add a Homepage header
> 
> that Homepage seems to point at
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git which appears to be
> a (the?) full-on org-mode git repo, and which doesn't appear to have
> ob-julia.el.

apologies, i hadn't taken the time to look at the full git log message:

----
commit 2e0375d20b3a411ddf32194229c7d93f69aa701c
Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org>
Date:   Wed May 12 06:20:33 2021 +0200

    lisp/ob-julia.el: Add a Homepage header

    The Homepage header of ob-julia.el points to the new org-mode.git
    repository because we will include ob-julia.el in Org's core.
----

cheers, Greg


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

* Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
  2021-05-04  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2021-05-19  3:36     ` Jack Kamm
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 23+ messages in thread
From: Jack Kamm @ 2021-05-19  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tuesday,  4 May 2021 at 01:49, Timothy wrote:
>> For the future, I'd think Julia actually warrants 1st class inclusion in
>> Org, and I've instigated an effort to write an ob-julia that works well.
>
> +1!  Happy to help test if you wish.  I use Julia as my programming
> language these days.

+1 from me as well, I think Julia passes the "well-established" test and
is an important language for scientific computing.

I like Julia, but only occasionally use it, and it seems to frequently
cause troubles with my Org config whenever I update or move
computers. So I appreciate this effort to support it better -- thank you Timothy.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 23+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-05-19  3:37 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 23+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-05-03 15:13 Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice? Bastien
2021-05-03 17:49 ` Timothy
2021-05-03 18:05   ` Bastien
2021-05-03 19:36     ` Palak Mathur
2021-05-03 19:44       ` Timothy
2021-05-03 19:47         ` Palak Mathur
2021-05-03 20:34         ` Bastien
2021-05-03 20:33       ` Bastien
2021-05-04  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
2021-05-19  3:36     ` Jack Kamm
2021-05-03 20:52 ` Victor A. Stoichita
2021-05-04 10:19   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
2021-05-04 11:28     ` Bastien
2021-05-04 18:38       ` Victor A. Stoichita
2021-05-04 11:32   ` Bastien
2021-05-03 22:19 ` Tim Cross
2021-05-03 23:15   ` Bastien
2021-05-04 10:19 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
2021-05-04 11:10   ` Bastien
2021-05-06  9:19 ` Jean Louis
2021-05-06  9:39   ` Bastien
2021-05-14 18:23 ` Greg Minshall
2021-05-17 16:39   ` Greg Minshall

Org-mode mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://orgmode.org/list/0 list/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 list list/ https://orgmode.org/list \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index list

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git