* Bug: Priority Of A Task In Emacs 27.2 Cannot Be Removed With Space Key ("SPC to remove")
@ 2021-05-27  2:29 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-05-27  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello there,

I noticed a weird bug within Emacs Org Mode as I use it often for my TODO lists for both personal use and for work.

I noticed that if you hit "C-c ," you are prompted nowadays to enter a number from like 1 to whatever your highest priority was set to, and that you have to enter in the number and THEN press enter.

This behavior on a side note is a little annoying since I usually only use priorities 1 through 5, and don't want to have to hit enter each time. I kind of wish I could just go back to just hitting '1' or '5' and moving on. But, I understand this was to make the ceiling of the highest priority be like 65 or something like that, so I understand why this was included.

My main point is that the "SPC to remove" option doesn't actually work.

If you try doing "C-c ," then hit Space, and then press Enter, the priority of the task still remains the same.

*Workaround:*
I've had to manually delete the priority number as a workaround which is a bit annoying.
I've used F3 as a on-the-fly macro to quickly do this across multiple todo list items as well.
However, it does feel a little awkward having to do this, so I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this as well.

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Bug: Priority Of A Task In Emacs 27.2 Cannot Be Removed With Space Key ("SPC to remove")
@ 2021-05-27  4:05 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-05-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Confirmed

I can reproduce this in org 9.4.6, Emacs 27.2. Bug confirmed.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Bug: Priority Of A Task In Emacs 27.2 Cannot Be Removed With Space Key ("SPC to remove")
@ 2021-05-27  4:54   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-05-27  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for confirming this as I didn't know if it was my config or something.

I'd like to add if possible, if there would the ability to restore the previously functionality of being able to just hit a number from 1 to 9 to set the priority of a task as well.

Didn't want to conflate things too much, but it would be great if there was a config option around this before I would have to make a workaround in Elisp instead.

@ 2021-05-27  5:26     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-05-27  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Not sure how easy it would be to restore the previous behaviour. I guess
if you restricted numerical priorities to 0 .. 9 it would be reasonably
easy as you only need to check for a single key press. However, once you
go above 9 and have the situation where the value could be more than a
single key press, you have no way to know when input is finished.

It should be noted that the old behaviour using letters for priorities
still works (as does clearing wiht a space). Personally, I've always
been happy with just letters and 3 priorities. I find once you go past
about 3 or 4, priorities don't have a lot of value. YMMV of course.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Bug: Priority Of A Task In Emacs 27.2 Cannot Be Removed With Space Key ("SPC to remove")
@ 2021-05-27 13:10       ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-05-27 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gotcha, yeah I only use priority 1 through 5 with a kind of "Getting Things Done" mentality to file things away in their right place.

I don't like using letters unfortunately, but thanks for this potential workaround in that case.

Clearing priorities with a space and enter doesn't work though, and I believe this is a bug.

@ 2021-05-27 14:40         ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-05-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Confirmed.

Yes, I would agree that not being able to clear the priority by entering
space when using numeric priorities is a bug. The minibuffer prompt even
states you can enter a space character to clear the priority.

To reproduce -

set the org variables

(setq org-priority-highest 1
      org-priority-lowest 10
      org-priority-default 5)

Use C-c , to set a priority on a TODO item.
Use C-c , and enter a space <enter>

Observe the priority cookie is not removed.

This only occurs with numeric priority values. The default letter based
priority values and space to clear functionality work as expected.

Org version: 9.4.6
Emacs version 27.2

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Bug: Priority Of A Task In Emacs 27.2 Cannot Be Removed With Space Key ("SPC to remove")
@ 2021-09-27  9:44           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-09-27  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

FWIW this is fixed in the main branch.

When priorities between 1 and 9, you can set them with a single
keystroke after `C-c ,'.  For priorities between 1 and >9 you are
asked for a string and have to press enter, since the priority can
be more than one char.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien