* Org-list: Add back fancy description list indentation
@ 2020-05-18  4:23 James R Miller
From: James R Miller @ 2020-05-18  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Was there really not a way to keep fancy description list indentation instead of removing it entirely? I have almost a decade of org files that use description lists, and it really helps have the description items called out from the description text.

Is there a simple way to add this functionality back in? Perhaps as some sort of variable like `org-use-fancy-description-list-indentation` instead of throwing it out entirely?

Here's the commit I'm referring to: https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/683df456a41a2b0e308bdbf746f5db0235a6058a

Thanks.

--
  James Miller
  james.ryland.miller@gmail.com

* Re: Org-list: Add back fancy description list indentation
@ 2020-05-18  6:52 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-05-18  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James R Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > Hi all, Was there really not a way to keep fancy description list
    > indentation instead of removing it entirely? I have almost a
    > decade of org files that use description lists, and it really
    > helps have the description items called out from the description
    > text.

+1 And I've only 6 files similarly affected!

@ 2020-05-18  7:06 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-18  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James R Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"James R Miller" <james.ryland.miller@gmail.com> writes:

> Was there really not a way to keep fancy description list indentation
> instead of removing it entirely?

I don't know if there is a way, but the implementation did not work with
nested lists.

> I have almost a decade of org files
> that use description lists,

Note that the removal does not break existing documents.

> and it really helps have the description
> items called out from the description text.

The Org manual contains many descriptions lists.

For short descriptions,

  - XXX XXX XXX :: aaaa aaaa aaa aaaaa aaaaa

For longer descriptions,

  - XXXXX XXX XXX ::

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
    eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

It doesn't look so bad, IMO. And it is very stable.

> Is there a simple way to add this functionality back in? Perhaps as
> some sort of variable like
> `org-use-fancy-description-list-indentation` instead of throwing it
> out entirely?

It's not just about introducing a variable. It is about fixing
indentation with description lists containing sub-lists.

You can try, if you want to. It may be tricky though: at first glance,
the previous implementation worked, but it actually didn't.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org-list: Add back fancy description list indentation
@ 2020-05-18 14:30   ` James R Miller
From: James R Miller @ 2020-05-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It just seems like a regression to me instead of a fix. Functionality was removed instead of fixed.

--

@ 2020-05-18 16:12     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-18 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James R Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"James R Miller" <james.ryland.miller@gmail.com> writes:

> It just seems like a regression to me instead of a fix. Functionality
> was removed instead of fixed.

I am not sure about how helpful your message is.

I am not opposed to the fancy indentation you want: if you want to fix
it properly, you can give it a go. The code didn't disappear, it is
still in a commit.

Meanwhile, this broken part of indentation is "disabled".

Regards,

* Re: Org-list: Add back fancy description list indentation
@ 2020-05-18 18:57       ` James R Miller
From: James R Miller @ 2020-05-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This just might be the functionality that makes me learn elisp. :)

--

@ 2020-05-19 14:28         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James R Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"James R Miller" <james.ryland.miller@gmail.com> writes:

> This just might be the functionality that makes me learn elisp. :)

See. You'll soon thank me for removing the feature you liked ;)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou