* Displaying day-resources (or a secondary time-line)
@ 2010-05-08 17:16 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-05-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to display "dates" in the Agenda View which are
not appointments but, in GTD-speak, belong to the "availability of
resources".

That's a little too abstract. A concrete example. Say, your secretary is
on duty only Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 to 12:00 and Fridays from
8:00 to 10:00. This is a resource that enables or disables you to do
certain things. So you want to see these dates in your Day Agenda View,
but not mixed with your own appointments. You'd rather have this
information at the end of the Day Agenda, maybe in a different color
and/or separated by a line, like this:

Montag     10 Mai 2010 W19
  Office:          10:00-12:00 Meeting with the Boss
  Lunch:           12:00-13:00 Meet Jens in the Pub
  Teaching:        14:00-16:00 Lecture
  Project_X:       16:00-18:00 Preparation Meeting
  Leisure:         20:15       Cinema
  ------------------------------------- /from here in a different color/
  Office:          8:00-12:00  Secretary is present
  Family:          14:00-20:00 Mary will not be at home
  On_Holiday:      Ina

The last entry, which says that Ina is on holiday today, can principally
be solved as:

** Holidays
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CATEGORY: On_Holiday
   :END:
%%(diary-block 05 05 2010 14 05 2010) Ina

But the other entries can not be done like this, I guess. These contain
certain times of the day, and the first one (secretary) is thought to be
a _repeating_ date.

How is that possible with Orgmode? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sven

* Re: Displaying day-resources (or a secondary time-line)
@ 2010-05-11 21:23 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-05-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi to all

I don't want to reinforce my request. I'd just be interested if I
asked something which I could have found out myself. Is there already a
solution that escaped my reading?

Greetings,

Sven

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a way to display "dates" in the Agenda View which are
> not appointments but, in GTD-speak, belong to the "availability of
> resources".
>
> That's a little too abstract. A concrete example. Say, your secretary is
> on duty only Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 to 12:00 and Fridays from
> 8:00 to 10:00. This is a resource that enables or disables you to do
> certain things. So you want to see these dates in your Day Agenda View,
> but not mixed with your own appointments. You'd rather have this
> information at the end of the Day Agenda, maybe in a different color
> and/or separated by a line, like this:
>
> Montag     10 Mai 2010 W19
>   Office:          10:00-12:00 Meeting with the Boss
>   Lunch:           12:00-13:00 Meet Jens in the Pub
>   Teaching:        14:00-16:00 Lecture
>   Project_X:       16:00-18:00 Preparation Meeting
>   Leisure:         20:15       Cinema
>   ------------------------------------- /from here in a different color/
>   Office:          8:00-12:00  Secretary is present
>   Family:          14:00-20:00 Mary will not be at home
>   On_Holiday:      Ina
>
> The last entry, which says that Ina is on holiday today, can principally
> be solved as:
>
> ** Holidays
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CATEGORY: On_Holiday
>    :END:
> %%(diary-block 05 05 2010 14 05 2010) Ina
>
> But the other entries can not be done like this, I guess. These contain
> certain times of the day, and the first one (secretary) is thought to be
> a _repeating_ date.
>
> How is that possible with Orgmode? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sven

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Bretfeld

___________________________________
Prof. Dr. Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für
CERES  \ REligionswissenschaftliche
________\_Studien__________________
Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Universitätsstraße 150
D-44780 Bochum
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ceres/de/organisation/beteiligte/sven_bretfeld.html

* Re: Displaying day-resources (or a secondary time-line)
@ 2010-05-11 23:11   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-05-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Sven,

I cannot help but I reinforce the need of something as proposed by you.

I really miss these "secondary" apointments and tried to find something
similar a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I gave up.

Maybe they should appear as an option overlapping our appts or not.

These "secondary" agendas include third parties agendas and they are not so
easy to add.

Using tags is easy to remove them in a specific agenda view BUT the default
agenda becomes quite messy.

Maybe we could add different files to each agenda : secretary.org,
Friend1.org Boss.org Wife.org etc but we need a practical way to add or
remove them or select just one or a couple of them to show intersections.

Google Calendar could be an inspiration of what I meant.

Daniel

@ 2010-05-12 14:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Sven,

On May 8, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a way to display "dates" in the Agenda View which are
> not appointments but, in GTD-speak, belong to the "availability of
> resources".
>
> That's a little too abstract. A concrete example. Say, your
> secretary is
> on duty only Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 to 12:00 and Fridays
> from
> 8:00 to 10:00. This is a resource that enables or disables you to do
> certain things. So you want to see these dates in your Day Agenda
> View,
> but not mixed with your own appointments. You'd rather have this
> information at the end of the Day Agenda, maybe in a different color
> and/or separated by a line, like this:
>
> Montag     10 Mai 2010 W19
>  Office:          10:00-12:00 Meeting with the Boss
>  Lunch:           12:00-13:00 Meet Jens in the Pub
>  Teaching:        14:00-16:00 Lecture
>  Project_X:       16:00-18:00 Preparation Meeting
>  Leisure:         20:15       Cinema
>  ------------------------------------- /from here in a different
> color/
>  Office:          8:00-12:00  Secretary is present
>  Family:          14:00-20:00 Mary will not be at home
>  On_Holiday:      Ina
>
> The last entry, which says that Ina is on holiday today, can
> principally
> be solved as:
>
> ** Holidays
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :CATEGORY: On_Holiday
>   :END:
> %%(diary-block 05 05 2010 14 05 2010) Ina

You can also use diary sexp entries to also do the others, by checking
for weekdays. See the examples in the FAQ

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#diary-sexp-in-org-files

For example (untested)

** Secretary present 8:00-12:00
    <%%(and (member (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3)))>

As for sorting, I guess the easiest would be use a special tag and
then a custom sorting strategy function in org-agenda-cmp-user-defined
to sort these to the end of the agenda display.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Displaying day-resources (or a secondary time-line)
@ 2010-05-17 23:01   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-05-17 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi Carsten and all others

> You can also use diary sexp entries to also do the others, by checking
> for weekdays. See the examples in the FAQ
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#diary-sexp-in-org-files
>
> For example (untested)
>
> ** Secretary present 8:00-12:00
>    <%%(and (member (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3)))>
>
> As for sorting, I guess the easiest would be use a special tag and
> then a custom sorting strategy function in org-agenda-cmp-user-defined
> to sort these to the end of the agenda display.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't know about the power of
diary-sexps. Thanks to Memnon, I have also learned about the
org-agenda-skip-function which I now have used to construct a solution
that works fine for me:

 (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("q" "Agenda and Metadata"
	 ((agenda "" ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if
						  'regexp ":META:"))))
	  (agenda "" ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if
						  'notregexp ":META:"))(org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's resources (metadata): ")))
	  (tags "MIT")
	  (tags "BIGROCK")))))

I would prefer to have this Agenda View bound to the standard C-aa. Is
that possible? Setting "a" via org-agenda-custom-commands results in an
error at starttime. This keybinding seems to be hard-coded.

@ 2010-05-18  5:59     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-18  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

On May 18, 2010, at 1:01 AM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Hi Carsten and all others
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You can also use diary sexp entries to also do the others, by
>> checking
>> for weekdays. See the examples in the FAQ
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#diary-sexp-in-org-files
>>
>> For example (untested)
>>
>> ** Secretary present 8:00-12:00
>>   <%%(and (member (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3)))>
>>
>> As for sorting, I guess the easiest would be use a special tag and
>> then a custom sorting strategy function in org-agenda-cmp-user-
>> defined
>> to sort these to the end of the agenda display.
>
> Thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't know about the power of
> diary-sexps. Thanks to Memnon, I have also learned about the
> org-agenda-skip-function which I now have used to construct a solution
> that works fine for me:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>      '(("q" "Agenda and Metadata"
> 	 ((agenda "" ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if
> 						  'regexp ":META:"))))
> 	  (agenda "" ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if
> 						  'notregexp ":META:"))(org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's
> resources (metadata): ")))
> 	  (tags "MIT")
> 	  (tags "BIGROCK")))))
>
> I would prefer to have this Agenda View bound to the standard C-aa.

Do you mean `C-c a a' ?

> Is
> that possible? Setting "a" via org-agenda-custom-commands results in
> an
> error at starttime. This keybinding seems to be hard-coded.

They are hard-coded, but you can in fact overrule them with custom
commands.  Many people do this, so that definitely works.

- Carsten