From: Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:28:10 -0500

Hi Carsten,

If I may be so bold, I'd like to request an additional setting for
org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists. Namely, I was wondering if it
would be possible to add an option whereby 2 empty lines would terminate
a plain list.

My rationale is as follows: I very much like to set
org-blank-before-new-entry to auto for plain lists. The extra line in
the org source increases legibility, and I can have single-spaced or
double-spaced lists depending on my mood. :)

But I also like the ability to determine where a plain list should end.
For instance, if I have a table that directly follows a list item, the
table is currently folded into the list in the exported html unless
org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists is set to t. (But, of course, if I
set the latter variable to t, then any list containing a blank line is
not exported correctly.)

Right now org-blank-before-new-entry and
org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists are mutually exclusive. By adding
the option of two lines terminating a plain list, would it perhaps be
possible to enjoy the functionality of both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for considering this. And feel free to tell me if this
is a ridiculously fussy request. :)

Matt