From: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
To: skaphle@pm.me
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bug: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift throws error [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 17:58:18 -0500

skaphle@pm.me writes:

> Thanks for the reply. I used the version shipped with emacs in the
> report, and now I installed org 9.4 from the gnu default repository
> via package-list-packages within emacs and the error indeed goes
> away. Is that the recommended stable version to use?

I suppose it depends largely on the user.  For many, the version of Org
bundled with Emacs will do, and it's not worth the hassle of installing
it from another source.  But, if you've hit into a bug that's fixed in
the latest release or just always want to keep up with the latest
release, then the default ELPA source is a good choice.

There's also Org's ELPA archives, if you instead wanted code based off
of the maint branch.

  https://orgmode.org/elpa.html

> Should I report bugs against the latest git version only?

Reporting a bug against the Org bundled with Emacs is fine.  Many times
this issue is still around, and a fix is applied to the maint branch and
will be included in the next release.  But if it turns out that it's
already fixed, then there's no other action we take on our end.
However, if a reporter is willing to take the time to check the latest
release (or even the maint or master branch) or search the mailing list
archives, that's of course appreciated and helpful.