From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
To: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 16:07:20 +0200

On Tue, May 04 2021, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 9:27 AM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> - A user should be able to insert citations into an Org document. IIUC nothing
>>   in org-cite provides any functionality for this, right? Is there a default
>>   list of styles a user would expect to be supported, or does this depend
>> solely
>>   on the bibliography style one uses?
>
> I'll just comment on this Joost.

Thanks. :-)

> Correct on your first question.

ACK

> As for your second, that's what the activity today is about. TBD, but
> it seems there's some good ideas on that.
>
> I tried to put this together into this wiki page, because doing it on
> an email list is hard.
>
> https://github.com/bdarcus/bibtex-actions/wiki/Org-cite

I can add some comments regarding biblatex:

- default: \parencite[1]
- text: \textcite
- author: \citeauthor[2]
- title: \citetitle[2]
- year: \citeyear[2]
- locators: \notecite[3]
- nocite: \nocite

Biblatex of course has a wealth of citation commands, most with variants of
different kinds. Not sure if that's relevant right now.

HTH

Joost

Footnotes:
[1] Note that biblatex also has \cite, which produces a citation without
     parentheses. But the natbib column has \citep here, so \parencite seems
     appropriate.

[2]  The biblatex manual states that this does not do "citation tracking",
     though what this implies is not clear to me.

[3]  There are variants \pnotecite and \fnotecite for parenthetical and
     footnote citations, respectively.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments