From: "Nicolas Richard" <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Converting csv (with new lines) to org-mode.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:25:45 +0100

Hello everyone,

A csv table can include newlines in its fields, which confuses the csv
parser contained in org-table-convert-region. Since I had no time to
patch the current implementation of org-table-convert-region, I decided
to use an already existing csv parser found in marmalade. You find below
the code I used (requires pcsv, a csv parser) if anyone is interested.
It's very simple : pcsv does the work of transforming the csv into a
list of list, then I mapconcat those using " | " as separator.

(defun yf/lisp-table-to-org-table (table &optional function)
  "Convert a lisp table to `org-mode' syntax, applying FUNCTION to each of its elements.
The elements should not have any more newlines in them after
applying FUNCTION ; the default converts them to spaces. Return
value is a string containg the unaligned `org-mode' table."
  (unless (functionp function)
    (setq function (lambda (x) (replace-regexp-in-string "\n" " " x))))
  (mapconcat (lambda (x)                ; x is a line.
               (concat "| " (mapconcat function x " | ") " |"))
             table "\n"))

(defun yf/csv-to-table (beg end)
"Convert a csv file to an `org-mode' table."
  (interactive "r")
  (require 'pcsv)
  (insert (yf/lisp-table-to-org-table (pcsv-parse-region beg end)))
  (delete-region beg end)
  (org-table-align))

--
N.