From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: org-babel-R export parameters
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:28:46 -0700	[thread overview]

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

>> I personally find this useful because it allows me to use code blocks to
>> generate results, and then when I'm content with the file I can set
>> ":exports none" to avoid re-generating the file on every export -- while
>> retaining the existing link keeps the file included in my export.
>>
>> I do see how this could be confusing, and maybe it would be appropriate
>> to begin stripping out the results of code blocks on export.
>
> 1 vote for that from me, for the exact same situation as this thread
> describes, i.e., I want to preview graphics in emacs, but have PDFs
> included in LaTeX upon export.

Upon reflection, I agree with you (and Russel) that just because results
were lying around in the buffer before export doesn't mean that the
':exports none' and ':exports code' header arguments should have their
meaning subverted.

I've made this change to the exporter (in the latest git HEAD) and
thanks to the way Org-mode handles export, the removal of results during
export does *not* mean that the results will be permanently removed
after export -- said differently, exporting will have no lasting effect
on the contents of the org-mode buffer.

Thanks to both of you for bringing this up.

> I have cobbled together something this afternoon that uses doc-view to
> overlay a png over a PDF results file.  There are a couple things to
> sort out, but I'll post that when I get home, it could possibly help
> here, at least with not having to generate both types of files from
> R/org-mode.

sounds great, I look forward to seeing it.  It seems to be that such a
pdf inline preview would be useful across general org-mode usage, not
just in the context of babel.

Best -- Eric