* QUESTION how to revert repeating sub-tasks?
@ 2010-05-17 14:14 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-05-17 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

link: how to revert repeating sub-tasks? http://openpaste.org/en/21646/

I have a repeating tasks that looks like this:
,----
| * TODO daily review
|   SCHEDULED: <2010-01-01 .+1d>
|   :LOGBOOK:...
|   :PROPERTIES:...
| ** TODO task A...
| ** TODO task B...
`----

Problem:
    After I have marked the sub-tasks and main task (in that order) done,
    but the sub-tasks remain in 'DONE' state.

Longer problem description:
    I have blocking enables, so I can only mark the main repeating task 'DONE'
    after all the sub-tasks are 'DONE' as well.
    The main repeating task (daily review) works great.
    It reverts to 'TODO' with the new scheduled date (day after today)
    and leaves a note in the 'LOGBOOK'.
    However the sub-tasks remain in the 'DONE' state
    instead of reverting to 'TODO' as well.

Example: (based on example above with current date being 2010-05-17)
    - switched all sub-tasks to DONE
    - switched the main task to DONE
current output:
,----
| * TODO daily review
|   SCHEDULED: <2010-05-18 .+1d >
|   :LOGBOOK:...
|   :PROPERTIES:...
| ** DONE task A...
| ** DONE task B...
`----

desired output:
,----
| * TODO daily review
|   SCHEDULED: <2010-05-18 .+1d >
|   :LOGBOOK:...
|   :PROPERTIES:...
| ** TODO task A...
| ** TODO task B...
`----

I would prefer 'TODO's instead of checkboxed if possible.
Any ideas how to get there?

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo

* Re: QUESTION how to revert repeating sub-tasks?
@ 2010-05-19  9:55 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-19  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hi Eraldo,

this is currently not possible - please take a look at org-
checklist.el, maybe that is a way to address your wish.

Otherwise, I guess I could make a hook that you could use to fix the
issue for yourself.  I guess more than just witching the states would
be need, for example cleaning up logging time stamps and notes???

- Carsten

On May 17, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> link: how to revert repeating sub-tasks? http://openpaste.org/en/
> 21646/
>
> I have a repeating tasks that looks like this:
> ,----
> | * TODO daily review
> |   SCHEDULED: <2010-01-01 .+1d>
> |   :LOGBOOK:...
> |   :PROPERTIES:...
> | ** TODO task A...
> | ** TODO task B...
> `----
>
> Problem:
>    After I have marked the sub-tasks and main task (in that order)
> done,
>    but the sub-tasks remain in 'DONE' state.
>
> Longer problem description:
>    I have blocking enables, so I can only mark the main repeating
> task 'DONE'
>    after all the sub-tasks are 'DONE' as well.
>    The main repeating task (daily review) works great.
>    It reverts to 'TODO' with the new scheduled date (day after today)
>    and leaves a note in the 'LOGBOOK'.
>    However the sub-tasks remain in the 'DONE' state
>    instead of reverting to 'TODO' as well.
>
> Example: (based on example above with current date being 2010-05-17)
>    - switched all sub-tasks to DONE
>    - switched the main task to DONE
> current output:
> ,----
> | * TODO daily review
> |   SCHEDULED: <2010-05-18 .+1d >
> |   :LOGBOOK:...
> |   :PROPERTIES:...
> | ** DONE task A...
> | ** DONE task B...
> `----
>
> desired output:
> ,----
> | * TODO daily review
> |   SCHEDULED: <2010-05-18 .+1d >
> |   :LOGBOOK:...
> |   :PROPERTIES:...
> | ** TODO task A...
> | ** TODO task B...
> `----
>
> I would prefer 'TODO's instead of checkboxed if possible.
> Any ideas how to get there?
>
> Greetings from Austria,
> Eraldo

- Carsten

* Re: QUESTION how to revert repeating sub-tasks?
@ 2010-05-20 13:51   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-05-20 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode

> this is currently not possible - please take a look at org-
> checklist.el, maybe that is a way to address your wish.
Too bad.
I would prefer 'TODO's over checkboxes because that enables me to just
set one of them (sub-tasks) to another state
(e.g. STARTED/WAITING/ACTION/etc).
This helps to make them show up in the appropriate list... until all of
them are DONE.
In which case I could set the main task to DONE thus resetting the
sub-tasks to TODO.

I hope you get the idea ^^.
In any way, thank you for the idea.

> Otherwise, I guess I could make a hook that you could use to fix the
> issue for yourself.  I guess more than just witching the states would
> be need, for example cleaning up logging time stamps and notes???
For me, changing all 'DONE's to 'TODO's for all sub-tasks would be enough.

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo