* Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
@ 2020-12-28 10:27 Pierre Langlois
From: Pierre Langlois @ 2020-12-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello there!

Since the latest update to 9.4.4, some of us in Guix have been
experiencing issues with loading packages that depend on Org [0]. It
seems the root of the problem is that (org-release) returns an empty
string, you can see this manifesting in this email actually :-).

Looking a little deeper, indeed the org-version.el packaged in Guix is
as follows:

;;; org-version.el --- autogenerated file, do not edit
;;
;;; Code:
;;;###autoload
(defun org-release ()
  "The release version of Org.
Inserted by installing Org mode or when a release is made."
   (let ((org-release ""))
     org-release))
;;;###autoload
(defun org-git-version ()
  "The Git version of Org mode.
Inserted by installing Org or when a release is made."
   (let ((org-git-version ""))
     org-git-version))
\f
(provide 'org-version)
\f
;; Local Variables:
;; version-control: never
;; no-byte-compile: t
;; coding: utf-8
;; End:
;;; org-version.el ends here

We download the Org source code directly from ELPA [1], it would seemx
the org-version.el wasn't correctly generated, right?

Thanks so much for Org!
Pierre

[0]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45448
[1]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org-9.4.4.tar

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.16.0)
Package: Org mode version  ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
@ 2021-01-06  3:59 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-01-06  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Langlois; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, Stefan Monnier

Pierre Langlois writes:

> Hello there!
>
> Since the latest update to 9.4.4, some of us in Guix have been
> experiencing issues with loading packages that depend on Org [0]. It
> seems the root of the problem is that (org-release) returns an empty
> string, you can see this manifesting in this email actually :-).
[...]
> We download the Org source code directly from ELPA [1], it would seemx
> the org-version.el wasn't correctly generated, right?

Thanks for reporting.

It looks like org-release is also an empty string for 9.4.3, while 9.4.2
looks okay:

  # https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org-9.4.2.tar.lz
  # https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org-9.4.3.tar.lz
  $ grep '(org-release' org-9.4.3/org-version.el
     (let ((org-release ""))
  $ grep '(org-release' org-9.4.2/org-version.el
     (let ((org-release "9.4.2")

In between those two releases, there seems to have been some
restructuring on ELPA's end, in particular ee03829f90 (Finalize the new
master branch, 2020-12-14).

Based on looking at Org's entry in the elpa-packages file

  ("org"
   :url "https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode"
   :lisp-dir "lisp"
   :release-branch "maint"
   :ignored-files ("etc/schema" "contrib" "mk" "testing" "lisp/org-install.el")
   :news "etc/ORG-NEWS"
   :shell-command "make autoloads info; mv doc/org org.info; mv doc/orgguide orgguide.info"
   :doc ("org.info" "orgguide.info")
   :auto-sync t)

my uneducated guess is that the make command is failing to generate the
version when executed from its elpa.git worktree because,
unsurprisingly, elpa.git doesn't (and shouldn't) pull in the Org repo's
tags.

Bastien and Stefan, does the above guess sound right?  Any thoughts on
how to address the issue?

* Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
@ 2021-01-06 15:36   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-06 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Bastien, Pierre Langlois, emacs-orgmode

>> Since the latest update to 9.4.4, some of us in Guix have been
>> experiencing issues with loading packages that depend on Org [0]. It
>> seems the root of the problem is that (org-release) returns an empty
>> string, you can see this manifesting in this email actually :-).
[...]
> In between those two releases, there seems to have been some
> restructuring on ELPA's end, in particular ee03829f90 (Finalize the new
> master branch, 2020-12-14).

Indeed that's the origin of the problem.

I don't know exactly how `org-version.el` is created and how the release
version is extracted&inserted, so I'm not sure how to fix it.

The approach I'd advocate would be to use `package-get-version` (or
something similar since `package-get-version` doesn't exist in
Emacs<27).

        Stefan

* Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
@ 2021-02-05  6:24     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-05  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Bastien, Pierre Langlois, emacs-orgmode

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Indeed that's the origin of the problem.

Thanks for confirming.

> I don't know exactly how `org-version.el` is created and how the release
> version is extracted&inserted, so I'm not sure how to fix it.
>
> The approach I'd advocate would be to use `package-get-version` (or
> something similar since `package-get-version` doesn't exist in
> Emacs<27).

Based on tested in a `git clone --no-tags ...` repo, should be fixed by
61336f80d.

* Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
@ 2021-02-05 15:37       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-02-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Bastien, Pierre Langlois, emacs-orgmode

> Based on tested in a `git clone --no-tags ...` repo, should be fixed by
> 61336f80d.

Looks like it works: the `version.el` in
https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/org-9.5snapshot0.20210205.62105.tar
now says:

    (defun org-release ()
      "The release version of Org.
    Inserted by installing Org mode or when a release is made."
       (let ((org-release "9.5-dev"))
         org-release))
    ;;;###autoload
    (defun org-git-version ()
      "The Git version of Org mode.
    Inserted by installing Org or when a release is made."
       (let ((org-git-version "9.5-dev-g2512fd"))
         org-git-version))

Thanks,

        Stefan

* Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]