* export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-15 17:44 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-10-15 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

I have a org file that I want to export either to

    1. Regular latex or

    2. To beamer.

So I just use the corresponding export engines.

However the following minimal example puzzles me:

#+begin_src

# -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil -*-
#+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA:  \usepackage{booktabs}

* The  algorithm applied to the Lane-Emden equation
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: frame
:BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks
:END:

** The original Lane-Emden equation

#+begin_src latex :results latex replace :exports results :eval t
\begin{equation*}
  \begin{cases}
    y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n} &=0\\
    y(0) &= 1\\
    y'(0) &=0
  \end{cases}
\end{equation*}
where $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.
#+end_src

#+end_src

Because it exports to

#+begin_src
\begin{frame}[allowframebreaks]{The SLM algorithm applied to the Lane-Emden equation}
\begin{block}{The original Lane-Emden equation}
\begin{equation*}
    y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n} &=0\\
    y(0) &= 1\\
    y'(0) &=0
\end{equation*}
where $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.
\end{block}
\end{frame}

#+end_src

How can I avoid this annoying block environment?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-15 18:40 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-10-15 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Hello I have a org file that I want to export either to

    >     1. Regular latex or

    >     2. To beamer.

    > So I just use the corresponding export engines.

    > However the following minimal example puzzles me:

    > #+begin_src

    > # -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil -*- #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA:
    > \usepackage{booktabs}

    > * The algorithm applied to the Lane-Emden equation :PROPERTIES:
    > :BEAMER_env: frame :BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks :END:

    > ** The original Lane-Emden equation

    > #+begin_src latex :results latex replace :exports results :eval t
    > \begin{equation*} \begin{cases} y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n}
    > &=0\\ y(0) &= 1\\ y'(0) &=0 \end{cases} \end{equation*} where
    > $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.  #+end_src

    > #+end_src

    > Because it exports to

    > #+begin_src \begin{frame}[allowframebreaks]{The SLM algorithm
    > applied to the Lane-Emden equation} \begin{block}{The original
    > Lane-Emden equation} \begin{equation*}
    > y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n} &=0\\ y(0) &= 1\\ y'(0) &=0
    > \end{equation*} where $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.
    > \end{block} \end{frame}

    > #+end_src

    > How can I avoid this annoying block environment?

    > Regards

    > Uwe Brauer

Try \[ in place of \begin{equation*}; \] in place of \end{equation*}

* Re: export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-15 19:34   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-10-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "CB" == Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>> Hello I have a org file that I want to export either to

>> 1. Regular latex or

>> 2. To beamer.

>> So I just use the corresponding export engines.

>> However the following minimal example puzzles me:

>> #+begin_src

>> # -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil -*- #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA:
>> \usepackage{booktabs}

>> * The algorithm applied to the Lane-Emden equation :PROPERTIES:
>> :BEAMER_env: frame :BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks :END:

>> ** The original Lane-Emden equation

>> #+begin_src latex :results latex replace :exports results :eval t
>> \begin{equation*} \begin{cases} y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n}
>> &=0\\ y(0) &= 1\\ y'(0) &=0 \end{cases} \end{equation*} where
>> $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.  #+end_src

>> #+end_src

>> Because it exports to

>> #+begin_src \begin{frame}[allowframebreaks]{The SLM algorithm
>> applied to the Lane-Emden equation} \begin{block}{The original
>> Lane-Emden equation} \begin{equation*}
>> y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n} &=0\\ y(0) &= 1\\ y'(0) &=0
>> \end{equation*} where $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.
>> \end{block} \end{frame}

>> #+end_src

>> How can I avoid this annoying block environment?

>> Regards

>> Uwe Brauer

> Try \[ in place of \begin{equation*}; \] in place of \end{equation*}

Thanks I also found out that the
* The ... algorithm applied to the Lane-Emden equation
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: frame
:BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks
:END:

* The original Lane-Emden equation

 #+begin_src latex :results latex replace :exports results :eval t
\begin{equation*}
  \begin{cases}
    y''(x)+\frac{2}{x}y'(x)+y^{n} &=0\\
    y(0) &= 1\\
    y'(0) &=0
  \end{cases}
\end{equation*}
where $n\in[0,5]$ is the polytropic index.
 #+end_src

Works fine, that is changing ** to *

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-16  8:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-16  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 19:44, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> How can I avoid this annoying block environment?

I know you have sort of solved this (by promoting the headline to a
higher level) but the question I would have asked is: what did you want
the export engine to do with a subheading?

In beamer, org assumes that a subheading starts some kind of block and
the default is just a basic block.  You can change this to other types
or have org ignore the actual headline.  I use the latter to provide
some structure to the org file without affecting the output.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-57-g8402c4

* Re: export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-16 16:06   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-10-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 19:44, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> How can I avoid this annoying block environment?

> I know you have sort of solved this (by promoting the headline to a
> higher level) but the question I would have asked is: what did you want
> the export engine to do with a subheading?

Well because this is how I would have written it starting directly in Latex.
Subsections help me to organize the documents, so I thought subheadings
would be converted to subsections, without interfering with blocks. So I
have learned something I did not know before.

> In beamer, org assumes that a subheading starts some kind of block and
> the default is just a basic block.

Ok I did not know that. I have to admit I use org mode, either because
of its excellent table editor, or if I want to export text+some code to LaTeX

> You can change this to other types or have org ignore the actual
> headline. I use the latter to provide some structure to the org file
> without affecting the output.

I think I have to learn more about that.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: export to babel, sometimes a block environment is inserted.
@ 2020-10-17 11:17     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-17 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 16 Oct 2020 at 18:06, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I think I have to learn more about that.

A good starting point to learn what is possible in org for beamer export
is to turn on beamer mode:

#+startup: beamer

This provides, in particular, one key binding (C-c C-b) which allows you
to change the interpretation of a subheading.  It pops up a menu of
options.

--

@ 2020-10-17 13:26       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-10-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)