* Bug: org-tangle writes region for every single block [9.4.4 (9.4.4-elpa @ /home/miha/.config/emacs/elpa/org-20201222/)]
@ 2020-12-28 12:06 jakanakaevangeli
From: jakanakaevangeli @ 2020-12-28 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Tangling a file with a lot of src blocks can get quite slow because
write-region is called for each individual src block.

On my machine it takes 8 seconds to tangle a file with 160 blocks of the
same language. Tangling the file over tramp would probably take about 5
minutes.

Perhaps it would be more optimal to only save each file at the end
of src block extraction.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-08-28
Package: Org mode version 9.4.4 (9.4.4-elpa @ /home/miha/.config/emacs/elpa/org-20201222/)

* Re: Bug: org-tangle writes region for every single block [9.4.4 (9.4.4-elpa @ /home/miha/.config/emacs/elpa/org-20201222/)]
@ 2021-11-23 12:37 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jakanakaevangeli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

jakanakaevangeli@chiru.no writes:

> Tangling a file with a lot of src blocks can get quite slow because
> write-region is called for each individual src block.
>
> On my machine it takes 8 seconds to tangle a file with 160 blocks of the
> same language. Tangling the file over tramp would probably take about 5
> minutes.
>
> Perhaps it would be more optimal to only save each file at the end
> of src block extraction.

I am not sure if the bulk of tangling time is spent actually writing to
disk. Can you try your problematic file on latest main? There are some
improvements that should improve tangling speed significantly.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2021-11-25 22:07   ` jakanakaevangeli
From: jakanakaevangeli @ 2021-11-25 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> jakanakaevangeli@chiru.no writes:
>
>> Tangling a file with a lot of src blocks can get quite slow because
>> write-region is called for each individual src block.
>>
>> On my machine it takes 8 seconds to tangle a file with 160 blocks of the
>> same language. Tangling the file over tramp would probably take about 5
>> minutes.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be more optimal to only save each file at the end
>> of src block extraction.
>
> I am not sure if the bulk of tangling time is spent actually writing to
> disk. Can you try your problematic file on latest main? There are some
> improvements that should improve tangling speed significantly.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

Indeed, bug is fixed with org-mote commit from Sat May 1 22:30:42 2021 +0200
(a2cb9b853d30fc301f4553d1556dba4ee6bc1ead)

Thanks.

(I don't know how to close an org-mode issue.)

@ 2021-11-26  0:09     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-26  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jakanakaevangeli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<jakanakaevangeli@chiru.no> writes:

>> I am not sure if the bulk of tangling time is spent actually writing to
>> disk. Can you try your problematic file on latest main? There are some
>> improvements that should improve tangling speed significantly.
>
> Indeed, bug is fixed with org-mote commit from Sat May 1 22:30:42 2021 +0200
> (a2cb9b853d30fc301f4553d1556dba4ee6bc1ead)

Interesting. I did not notice that commit. My reply was related to
further performance improvements though ;)

> (I don't know how to close an org-mode issue.)

This issue is not in updates.orgmode.org because it was never confirmed.
I just noticed that your message had no replies.

Best,
Ihor