From: Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [FR] Don't hardcode checker functions prefix in org-lint
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:22:34 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi All,

This is a small feature request for `org-lint' not to hardcode the
checker functions' prefix, as it currently does.

`org-lint' is a small gem in Org, specially to those fat-fingered folks
such as myself, to the point that it's been some time since I've been
fancying using it to check some of my own personal conventions and
structures, beyond Org syntax.  It is not difficult to do so, and it is
enough to define some appropriate checker functions and a personal
`my-org-lints' let binding `org-lint--checkers' to my own set of
checkers.  It's pretty neat.

However, `org-lint' hardcodes the prefix of the checker functions to its
own prefix, so that to define my own personal checker functions I have
to step on `org-lint's namespace, and use "org-lint-" as a prefix, to
get things working.  The hardcoding occurs in
`org-lint--generate-reports', when each checker is called with:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(funcall
 (intern (format "org-lint-%s"
		 (org-lint-checker-name c)))
 ast)
#+end_src

It would be really useful, and simple enough, if a variable was defined,
such as:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defvar org-lint-checker-prefix "org-lint")
#+end_src

and the call used this variable instead of hardcoding its value:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(funcall
 (intern (format "%s-%s"
                 org-lint-checker-prefix
		 (org-lint-checker-name c)))
 ast)
#+end_src

This would allow to define the mentioned `my-org-lints' function let
binding `org-lint--checkers' and `org-lint-checker-prefix' to
appropriate values.  So that an user's checker functions could have
names with other prefixes.

As far as my grasp of `org-lint' goes (still learning), that would be
enough for users to enjoy its infrastructure for personal lints without
having to invade org-lint's namespace.  If you think it's a good idea,
I'd certainly appreciate it to be included.  Thank you.

Best regards,
Gustavo.