* org-indent-mode documentation suggestion
@ 2020-01-25 20:15 Neil Hansen
From: Neil Hansen @ 2020-01-25 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, and thank you for org-mode!

I ran into an issue yesterday when I turned on org-indent-mode and then
tried to disable org-hide-leading-stars. I ended up going on a bit of a
chase to figure out what was going on. I had just switched to a new config,
and thought that might be the problem, so I filed an issue there. It has
some more details if you'd like to take a look:
https://github.com/MatthewZMD/.emacs.d/issues/28

Anyways, the buffer-local variables that org-indent creates made this a
little confusing to figure out. I ended up solving it by
setting org-indent-mode-turns-in-hiding-stars to nil, but that took some
time to figure out because the documentation here suggests that I only
needed to set org-hide-leading-stars to nil:
https://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html

I just wanted to suggest that the documentation be updated to mention the
buffer-local variables and how to work around org-indent's default
behavior. These two lines solved it for me, and I'm sure other star-loving
org users will want the full story on how to set this up properly:

(setq org-hide-leading-stars nil)
(setq org-indent-mode-turns-in-hiding-stars nil)

Thank you again!

Neil

* Re: org-indent-mode documentation suggestion
@ 2020-01-26  8:00 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-01-26  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Neil,

thanks for reporting this - I enhanced the documentation like this:
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/c6a34dc0

Let me know if this solves it for you.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-indent-mode documentation suggestion
@ 2020-01-26  9:54   ` Neil Hansen
From: Neil Hansen @ 2020-01-26  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

That looks great, thank you for addressing this so quickly. As always, very
impressed with your leadership of the org project.

Looking forward to the next release!

Neil

@ 2020-01-26 10:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-01-26 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Neil,

Neil Hansen <neil.hansen.31@gmail.com> writes:

> That looks great, thank you for addressing this so quickly. As
> always, very impressed with your leadership of the org project.

Well, thanks, but that's just me doing a few contributions after
a looooong time being away.

The true everyday leadership is that of Nicolas and now Kyle.

> Looking forward to the next release!

Org 9.3.2 it is out now, enjoy!

--
 Bastien