* copy file from link into agenda
@ 2013-01-28 23:01 Subhan Tindall
From: Subhan Tindall @ 2013-01-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Hi, I am trying to set up a class notes system using Org (based on my
Nexus 7 w/BT Keyboard, but that's another story)
I mostly have things they way I would like (I think), with each day's
class notes as an org file, and a capture template to insert an entry
into a date tree with some information + a link to the file name.
This is all working great.
What I would like is an agenda view that will pull the date tree
entries matching a certain tag (IE class name) *AND* the linked file,
and combine them into an agenda file
For example,
* 2013
** 2013-01 January
*** 2013-01-21 Monday
**** NOTE [2013-01-21 Mon 1410]     :class1:
<filename.c>
*** 2013-01-28 Monday
**** NOTE  [2013-01-28 Mon 14:51]    :class1:
<filename.a>
**** NOTE  [2013-01-28 Mon 14:51]    :class2:
<filename.9>
*** 2013-01-29 Tuesday
**** NOTE  [2013-01-29 Mon 14:51]    :class1:
<filename.b>

Would like to transform this to something like:
:class1:
2013-01-21 Monday
<contents of filename.c>

2013-01-28 Monday
<contents of filename.a>

2013-01-29 Tuesday
<contents of filename.b>

Any ideas?  I'm an avid org user in some ways but pretty new to agenda
file customization
Subhan

--
Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
| smt@rentrakmail.com
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT

* Re: copy file from link into agenda
@ 2013-01-30 10:38 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-30 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Tindall; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hi Subhan,

Subhan Tindall <subhan.tindall@rentrakmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am trying to set up a class notes system using Org (based on my
> Nexus 7 w/BT Keyboard, but that's another story)
> I mostly have things they way I would like (I think), with each day's
> class notes as an org file, and a capture template to insert an entry
> into a date tree with some information + a link to the file name.
> This is all working great.
> What I would like is an agenda view that will pull the date tree
> entries matching a certain tag (IE class name) *AND* the linked file,
> and combine them into an agenda file
> For example,
> * 2013
> ** 2013-01 January
> *** 2013-01-21 Monday
> **** NOTE [2013-01-21 Mon 1410]     :class1:
> <filename.c>
> *** 2013-01-28 Monday
> **** NOTE  [2013-01-28 Mon 14:51]    :class1:
> <filename.a>
> **** NOTE  [2013-01-28 Mon 14:51]    :class2:
> <filename.9>
> *** 2013-01-29 Tuesday
> **** NOTE  [2013-01-29 Mon 14:51]    :class1:
> <filename.b>

You can do this manually -- in your date-tree file:

M-x org-agenda RET < a

will produce the agenda view for this file.

Then in this first agenda view, / TAB :class1: will
filter out entries that don't have the :class1: tag.

Then `E' will show the first lines of each entries,
displaying the .c files.

Of course, you can also build a custom agenda view
which does all this -- see the manual and the tutorials
on http://orgmode.org/worg/.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: copy file from link into agenda
@ 2013-02-01  7:06   ` Subhan Tindall
From: Subhan Tindall @ 2013-02-01  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-Mode

Sorry, that , while cool, is not what I am looking for.
Following the instructions you game will show
org-agenda-entry-text-maxlines (default 5) lines
of the entry itself in the note file:
So, if this is then entry in the date tree in the Daily-work-log.org file:
**** LOG <2013-01-31 Thu> /home/stindall/.emacs
Lots of time helping tom w/test plan for xtn_invgen_BE.pl
some lines
some more lines

Running the agenda command initially shows this:
Daily-work-log.org:             LOG    /home/stindall/.emacs

Hitting E expands it to:
Daily-work-log.org:             LOG    /home/stindall/.emacs
Lots of time helping tom w/test plan for xtn_invgen_BE.pl
some lines
some more lines

What I'm looking for is a way to load the contents of
/home/stindall/.emacs into the agenda,
ideally producing something similar to this:
LOG  <datestamp> /home/stindall/.emacs
<contents of .emacs file>

LOG  <datestamp> <some other file>
<contents of some other file>

my elisp-fu is not strong, so I'm hoping that a workable approximation
of what I need already exists.

Subhan

--

@ 2013-02-07  8:20     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-07  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Tindall; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hi Subhan,

Subhan Tindall <subhan.tindall@rentrakmail.com> writes:

> What I'm looking for is a way to load the contents of
> /home/stindall/.emacs into the agenda,
> ideally producing something similar to this:
> LOG  <datestamp> /home/stindall/.emacs
> <contents of .emacs file>
>
> LOG  <datestamp> <some other file>
> <contents of some other file>

I better understand now, thanks for the explanations.

> my elisp-fu is not strong, so I'm hoping that a workable approximation
> of what I need already exists.

Mhh.. no, it does not exist.

--
 Bastien