From: Gustavo Barros <gtvbrs@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: Org line commands and visual-line mode bindings [9.3.7 (9.3.7-15-gc9abb4-elpaplus @ /home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200727/)]
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:24:12 -0300

Hi Bastien,

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 at 14:37, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> You mean by adding something like
>
> (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "C-a") #'org-beginning-of-line)
>
> in org-keys.el?  I'm pretty sure such "hard" remapping breaks an Emacs
> convention--I'll ask emacs-devel, because that would indeed fix the
> problem you are reporting.
>
> Thanks for insisting,

Yes, that is what I mean.  I understand this kind of hard remapping
would not be conventional, and is not the best solution.  But, in this
case, it is not Org, but visual-line-mode which is going a bit too far.
Org takes care of the presence of visual-line-mode, but the opposite
does not occur.  Anyway, since you are asking emacs-devel, perhaps ask
too if it would be possible for a major mode to set, something like
`beginning-of-line-function' etc, which visual-line-mode, or even the
original functions it substitutes, could then honor, as is done with
`fill-paragraph-function', for example.  Something of the sort might be
the proper solution.  "Hard" rebinding is what Org can currently do on
its side, as far as I can tell.

Best,
Gustavo.