Org-mode mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Bug: LaTeX: inline maths expression in \textrm is not fully supported
@ 2020-12-13  1:30 Firmin Martin
  2020-12-13 10:24 ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Firmin Martin @ 2020-12-13  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sometimes, we want to nest inline maths expression in \textrm to
handle spaces easily and avoid repetition.

Examples:

1. $A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$
2. $A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}$
3. \(A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}\)
4. \(A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}\)

are all equivalent to 

- $A = \{n : n \textrm{ odd  in } X}\}$

But Org mode exports them in LaTeX as 

\begin{enumerate}
\item \$A = $\backslash${n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}$\backslash$}\$
\item \(A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}\)
\item \(A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)\}$\backslash$}$\backslash$)
\item \(A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}\)
\end{enumerate}

Namely, only cases 2. and 4., where nested maths delimiters are different
than the outer-most maths delimiters, are correctly exported.
On the other hand, Cases 1. and 3. introduced extra $\backslash$.

Interestingly, display style maths expressions are correctly exported.

5. $$A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$$
6. $$A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}$$
7. \[A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}\]
8. \[A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}\]

exports to

\begin{enumerate}
\item $$A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$$
\item $$A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}$$
\item \[A = \{n : \textrm{\(n\) odd in \(X\)}\}\]
\item \[A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}\]
\end{enumerate}

without extra $\backslash$.

Best,

Firmin

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-10-16
Package: Org mode version 9.4 (9.4-55-g706ba9-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20201207/)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Bug: LaTeX: inline maths expression in \textrm is not fully supported
  2020-12-13  1:30 Bug: LaTeX: inline maths expression in \textrm is not fully supported Firmin Martin
@ 2020-12-13 10:24 ` Eric S Fraga
  2020-12-14  6:33   ` Firmin Martin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-12-13 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Firmin Martin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday, 13 Dec 2020 at 02:30, Firmin Martin wrote:
> Sometimes, we want to nest inline maths expression in \textrm to
> handle spaces easily and avoid repetition.
>
> Examples:
>
> 1. $A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$

I think you may be expecting too much of org's simple inline LaTeX
parser.  As soon as you have complex LaTeX, it's best to be explicit
about it being LaTeX, e.g.:

1. @@latex:$A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$@@

HTH,
eric

-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-160-g7c8dce


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Bug: LaTeX: inline maths expression in \textrm is not fully supported
  2020-12-13 10:24 ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2020-12-14  6:33   ` Firmin Martin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Firmin Martin @ 2020-12-14  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I think you may be expecting too much of org's simple inline LaTeX
> parser.  As soon as you have complex LaTeX, it's best to be explicit
> about it being LaTeX, e.g.:
>
> 1. @@latex:$A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$@@

Thank you for the advice! This does work for LaTeX export, but if one
would also want to export in HTML, the LaTeX expression is lost. I will
stay with the "multiple \textrm" solution for now. 

Best,

Firmin

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sunday, 13 Dec 2020 at 02:30, Firmin Martin wrote:
>> Sometimes, we want to nest inline maths expression in \textrm to
>> handle spaces easily and avoid repetition.
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> 1. $A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$
>
> I think you may be expecting too much of org's simple inline LaTeX
> parser.  As soon as you have complex LaTeX, it's best to be explicit
> about it being LaTeX, e.g.:
>
> 1. @@latex:$A = \{n : \textrm{$n$ odd in $X$}\}$@@
>
> HTH,
> eric
>
> -- 
> : Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-160-g7c8dce


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-12-14  6:34 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-12-13  1:30 Bug: LaTeX: inline maths expression in \textrm is not fully supported Firmin Martin
2020-12-13 10:24 ` Eric S Fraga
2020-12-14  6:33   ` Firmin Martin

Org-mode mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://orgmode.org/list/0 list/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 list list/ https://orgmode.org/list \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index list

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git