From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [ANN] org-ql: Bookmarks, dynamic blocks, and links
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:27:06 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi all,

FYI, I've recently added some new features to org-ql[0]:

1.  Dynamic Blocks[1] allow you to insert a block that lists headings in
a document which match a query, formatting them into certain columns.
For example (please excuse the wrapped header line for this message):

#+BEGIN: org-ql :query "todo: priority:A,B" \
:columns (todo (priority "P") deadline heading) \
:sort (deadline priority) :take 7 :ts-format "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M"
| Todo | P | Deadline         | Heading                               |
|------+---+------------------+---------------------------------------|
| TODO | A | 2017-07-07 00:00 | Take over the world                   |
| TODO | B | 2017-07-10 00:00 | Renew membership in supervillain club |
| TODO | A | 2017-07-15 00:00 | Take over the universe                |
| TODO | B | 2017-07-21 00:00 | Internet                              |
| TODO | A | 2017-08-01 00:00 | Spaceship lease                       |
| TODO | A |                  | Skype with president of Antarctica    |
| TODO | B |                  | Take over Mars                        |
#+END:

2. Links[2] allow you to access an Org QL View by clicking on a link,
like:

    [[org-ql-search:todo:NEXT priority:A]]

It integrates with the Org link storing and inserting commands (`C-c l`
and `C-c C-l`), so you can easily create a custom search view and insert
a link to it into an Org file.  Then you can click the link to run the
search.

3.  Bookmarks allow Org QL View buffers to be bookmarked with Emacs
bookmark commands, like "C-x r m".  This also integrates with my new
buffer/window/frame/workspace-restoration package, Burly.[3]

Together, these features allow agenda-like views and searches to be
easily and quickly designed, saved, and accessed.

Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks,
Adam

0: https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql
1: https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql#dynamic-block