* Re: html email, math formulas
       [not found]       ` <87fwd0nvu0.fsf_-_@mat.ucm.es>
@ 2012-03-25 13:00         ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2012-03-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Mar 22 2012 22:56 (@1332453399), Uwe Brauer wrote:

>>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:37:10 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> wrote:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    > [...]
>
>    >> (concat "ltxpng/" (file-name-sans-extension (file-name-nondirectory
>    >> buffer-file-name)))
>
>    > Org mode assumes that the buffer has a file associated with it.  Which
>    > it doesn't.  But you can just bind `buffer-file-name' to something.
>    > Probably anything will work.  "", for instance.
> Right!!! That it was, many thanks, I recommend including
> that code in gnus, but maybe I am really the only one
> interested.

As in plain-text mail with TeX support? *want*

> Another thing which is related but concerns sending email.
> While I can of course use (and in fact I do very often) the
> TeX-to-char function for outgoing email which allows to send
> converted symbols such-as and then can be read by other
> email programs, the same is not true of
> org-preview-latex-fragments, since it saves the png in a
> subdirectory.
>

> I wrote a relative simple function which attaches all the
> relevant png, but the result looks ugly. The reason is that
> the mail is sent in principle as plain text, with embedded
> png.
>
> Now I learnt about 2 extensions for Thunderbird, which rely
> on the same idea however their result looks much nicer since
> they use htmlized email (which I normally dislike) so in
> short will gnus at some point allow and support html email.

I think `org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize' and `org-mime-htmlize' from
org-mode/contrib/org-mime.el by Eric Schulte are able to handle
composing rich html mail.

From a quick test, it seems to /almost/ work:

- images get attached, depending on the mail client they may or may not
  get displayed inline (Gnus shows them inline, roundcube below the
  message body)

- /css/ and /js/ appears to be missing, which breaks pretty formatting
  of code-blocks and mathjax for TeX.
  Setting #+OPTIONS: LaTeX:dvipng  as suggested by the Org info manual
  causes an error about a missing temp-file.

The file used for this test is attached.

Maybe these are just configuration quirks and could easily be dealt with
by setting the right options in org, or someone familiar with `org-mime'
could take a look at what's going wrong?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

[-- Attachment #2: dm7_-_linear_regression.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 1174 bytes --]

* Re: html email, math formulas
@ 2012-03-29 20:53           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-03-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:00:19 +0200, Philipp Haselwarter
>> <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> wrote:

   > I think `org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize' and `org-mime-htmlize' from
   > org-mode/contrib/org-mime.el by Eric Schulte are able to handle
   > composing rich html mail.
There was a bug in Eric's code which was fixed a couple of
days ago in the org mailing list

The original code was
;	 (org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments "dvipng")
but it should be:
	 (org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments 'dvipng)

Yes you are right this is very nice. However the way the
attachments are inserted in the text is ugly at best. I just
tested in thunderbird an extension called latex-it and it
looks much nicer, but it is not emacs :'(

I think the reason for this ugliness is that *mml* does not
support something like floating elements. I wrote a small
rant in the org mailing list but nobody replied. I think
will post it here.

Uwe