From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb.bulk@gmail.com>
To: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
Cc: Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch>,
	"emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: unique id=-values in aggregated html-exported docs
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 19:46:02 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

  SR> Can you verify, that those are clashing IDs?
  >>
  >> Sure:
  >>

  >> % cat index.html | grep id=
  >> [....]

  >> <h3 id="sec-1">

  SR> Funny - cannot verify that and never saw it. Why are your section
  SR> numbers not increased?

  SR> Could you please provide a simple testfile?

Well, the issue is about *aggregated* html files; so
      test1.org => test1.html, and
      test2.org => test2.html
in both test1.html and test2.html, the ids will be unique; the problem occurs
when we aggregate (concatenate) test1.html and test2.html into a big html
file; this is e.g. what happens when creating a blog, and your putting
together the last n posts. Then, the ids in the aggregated document will not
be unique.

  >> So, the issue is with aggregating separate exported html blobs into one
  >> page; of course org-mode has no real control over the uniqueness of the
  >> ids then.
  >>
  >> My idea would be that we could add some per-exported org-file cookie, so
  >> the ids could be something like:
  >>
  >> id="text-456EF-1"

  SR> How to refer to a certain section in a stylesheet then?

For aggregated documents that does not really work when using ids; instead,
classes are to be used for that. I mean, with aggregated documents there may
be multiple text-1 and (worse) multiple footnotes.

I'm not sure, why would one want to use ids in this case, and not classes?

  SR> A quick fix would be to just add `summary=""' to the table definition:

  >> Well, it's easy to shut up the html-validators (like tidy), but for true
  >> accessibility it'd be nice to set the summary to something meaningful
  >> (same for the alt= attribute of images). Not sure if that is a priority
  >> right now, and I guess it might add some complexity.

  SR> Agreed. But Org cannot guess.

Indeed; I have no idea how hard it would be to add e.g,.

  #+summary: table of foo per capita
(which could also be use for the alt= is in html image export)

org-babel already has #+tblname; maybe that could be extended?

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl