* Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-09-04 14:44 TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-04 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi everyone,

Prompted by the fact that Markdown is registered as a MIME type
(RFC7763) and perusing the MIME registration procedure (RFC6838),
I wonder if it may be possible to register Org as a MIME type?

There are a few parts of RFC6838 in particular which give me hope,
such
as:
> [§4.9] universal support and implementation of a media type are
> NOT a
> requirement for registration.

I'm guessing the main barrier wold be a the lack of a published
specification --- I'm guessing a complete version of
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html published under the
main
site (i.e. https://orgmode.org/standard.html) would be required.

Looking for other uses of the .org extension, there doesn't seem
to be
much. The main result is from "Lotus Organiser", which seems to be
(discontinued) PIM from IBM which used .org as its file type in
the 1992
release. Other than that it seems that Yamaha and SoundBlaster
have used
it as an extension for organ audio samples.

If it does seem possible to have text/org formally added as a mime
type,
I would love to push this.

Please let me know what you think.

All the best,

Timothy.

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-09-04 16:14 ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2020-09-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email, TEC

That would be very nice indeed.

/Gustav
________________________________

@ 2020-09-05  5:30 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-09-05  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I would like to see this result too. Great to know this :)

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-09-05  5:50   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stardiviner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, TEC

Hi,

stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to see this result too. Great to know this :)

Well, there is no "result" expected yet, because we did not yet
agreed to make a formal request.

Let's discuss this with care, and consider all possible outcomes.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-09-05  5:53     ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-05  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Just a quick note from me.

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
> Let's discuss this with care, and consider all possible
> outcomes.

This is /exactly/ what I was hoping to prompt with this email.
I think it would be a nice idea (assuming feasibility), but it's
certainly not something to rush.

@ 2020-09-17  7:09       ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-17  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm still hoping for that discussion :P

To the Org community, if you have thoughts on this - please share them
:)

Timothy.

Me earlier:

@ 2020-09-17  7:18         ` hj-orgmode-1
From: hj-orgmode-1 @ 2020-09-17  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  I do not have much insight into all the possible outcomes (i.e. I am
clueless about such outcomes) except one outcome - orgmode MIME type
gets registered.  I think it would serve well the proliferation and
popularization of org-mode. I.e. I do not see any negatives, only
positives. After successful registration, I don't think anyone would
really complain that their "Lotus Organiser" or organ audio samples do
not get processed as usual.

  AFAIC, push this.

  H J

@ 2020-09-23  7:31           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hj-orgmode-1; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, TEC

Hi,

hj-orgmode-1@hj.proberto.com writes:

> I do not have much insight into all the possible outcomes (i.e. I am
> clueless about such outcomes) except one outcome - orgmode MIME type
> gets registered.

If there is absolutely zero burden put on the shoulders of Org's
maintainers, then I'm all for it.

> I think it would serve well the proliferation and
> popularization of org-mode.

Agreed.

Is anyone willing to check that there are no constraints?

Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-10-01  3:40             ` TEC
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: TEC @ 2020-10-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> If there is absolutely zero burden put on the shoulders of Org's
> maintainers, then I'm all for it.

From the look of things, there's just effort in the initial
creation.

>> I think it would serve well the proliferation and
>> popularization of org-mode.
>
> Agreed.

This is the main reason why I'm a fan of the idea :)

> Is anyone willing to check that there are no constraints?

I've read through https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838 and I
couldn't see
any constraints placed on us beyond the initial registration's
requirements.

For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be needed.
Perhaps
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html will do? It looks
complete.

I'm hoping we could then use https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763
(registration of text/markdown) as a template, where we could just
link
to the syntax specification.

Perhaps it could be worth putting the syntax spec under the main
site as
something like orgmode.org/syntax-spec.html.

I've also been considering spinning off the manual into a bit of a
specification document (e.g. less of a guide / how-to, stripped
down to
just the bare information), so perhaps
orgmode.org/specification.html#syntax ? I'd really like some
second
opinions.

> Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?

In about two months, I am.

It looks like creating and draft and then emailing it to
media-types@iana.org would probably be the best approach.

@ 2020-10-01  5:21               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-10-01  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode

Hi Timothy,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is anyone willing to check that there are no constraints?
>
> I've read through https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838 and I couldn't
> see any constraints placed on us beyond the initial registration's
> requirements.

You register once and for all?  Is there some red tape involved in
maintaining the registration?

> For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be
> needed. Perhaps https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html will
> do? It looks complete.

We should first read https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html
and carefully check that it is up to date and still accurate, then
make it more user oriented (for now it more developers oriented.)

I'm ready to work on this before the end of the year.

> Perhaps it could be worth putting the syntax spec under the main
> site as something like orgmode.org/syntax-spec.html.

I would not go into this direction: as you know, I'd like the home
of orgmode.org to be just one page (index.org/html) and move other
pages to Worg.  So let's not move org-syntax.org to the website,
it is good as a worg resource.

> I've also been considering spinning off the manual into a bit of a
> specification document (e.g. less of a guide / how-to, stripped down
> to just the bare information), so perhaps
> orgmode.org/specification.html#syntax ? I'd really like some second
> opinions.

This would be too many docs to maintain.

>> Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?
>
> In about two months, I am.

Okay, thanks!  Let's work on stabilizing Org syntax and reconsider the
registration idea then.  I will also ping future maintainers on this.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-10-01  5:48                 ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-10-01  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> You register once and for all?  Is there some red tape involved
> in
> maintaining the registration?

Assuming I haven't misread/missed anything, the only thing that we
might
cause a change is if the specification changes - but since it
looks like
we can just link to our specification we probably wouldn't even
need to
do that.

>> For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be
>> needed. Perhaps https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html
>> will
>> do? It looks complete.
>
> We should first read
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html
> and carefully check that it is up to date and still accurate,
> then
> make it more user oriented (for now it more developers
> oriented.)

I see. Would there be someone well suited to check that everything
is
accurate? I wouldn't feel confident auditing the whole document by
myself.

> I'm ready to work on this before the end of the year.

Marvellous!

>> Perhaps it could be worth putting the syntax spec under the
>> main
>> site as something like orgmode.org/syntax-spec.html.
>
> I would not go into this direction: as you know, I'd like the
> home
> of orgmode.org to be just one page (index.org/html) and move
> other
> pages to Worg.  So let's not move org-syntax.org to the website,
> it is good as a worg resource.

Mmm. My thoughts on having lots on Worg haven't changed, I was
just
thinking it might seem more 'official' / better if the page were
nearer
to the site root.

>> I've also been considering spinning off the manual into a bit
>> of a
>> specification document (e.g. less of a guide / how-to, stripped
>> down
>> to just the bare information), so perhaps
>> orgmode.org/specification.html#syntax ? I'd really like some
>> second
>> opinions.
>
> This would be too many docs to maintain.

This was partly motivated from it sometimes being annoying to just
check what forms an element can take and not finding it easy to
see in
the manual.

Yea, maintaining /another/ file doesn't seem like a good idea
though...

>>> Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?
>>
>> In about two months, I am.
>
> Okay, thanks!  Let's work on stabilizing Org syntax and
> reconsider the
> registration idea then.  I will also ping future maintainers on
> this.

Sounds good! Thanks for being open to the idea :)

@ 2020-10-01  6:46                   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-10-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I see. Would there be someone well suited to check that everything is
> accurate? I wouldn't feel confident auditing the whole document by
> myself.

Well, "we" of course includes Nicolas and other core contributors, but
anyone is welcome.  This should not be done by a single person.

> Mmm. My thoughts on having lots on Worg haven't changed, I was just
> thinking it might seem more 'official' / better if the page were
> nearer to the site root.

I get that, but I feel it is not needed.

> This was partly motivated from it sometimes being annoying to just
> check what forms an element can take and not finding it easy to see in
> the manual.

If org-syntax.org becomes stable enough in Worg, we can link to this
page from the manual when necessary.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-10-01 15:39               ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2020-10-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: Bastien, hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> > Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?
>
> In about two months, I am.

IETF person here.  If you want help or a co-author, I can help if needed.

[not a mime expert, but I've been involved with the IETF for ~25 years]
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:       http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-10-01 15:45                 ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-10-01 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: Bastien, hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode

Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> writes:

> IETF person here.  If you want help or a co-author, I can help
> if needed.
>
> [not a mime expert, but I've been involved with the IETF for ~25
> years]

Fantastic! I've never summited an RFC or interacted with the IETF
before
in my life, so that sounds great to me :)

Thanks for volunteering,

@ 2020-10-06 18:03                   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2020-10-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: Bastien, hj-orgmode-1, Wes Hardaker, emacs-orgmode

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> writes:
>
> > IETF person here.  If you want help or a co-author, I can help if
> > needed.
> >
> > [not a mime expert, but I've been involved with the IETF for ~25
> > years]
>
> Fantastic! I've never summited an RFC or interacted with the IETF
> before in my life, so that sounds great to me :)

Ok, I'll try to create a template we can fill out in github next week
(I'm swamped this week with a deadline).
--

@ 2020-10-06 19:03                     ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-10-06 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: Bastien, hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode

Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> writes:

> Ok, I'll try to create a template we can fill out in github next
> week
> (I'm swamped this week with a deadline).

Sounds good :) I'm fairly busy for the next ~month and a half
anyway so
I'm happy to accommodate delays.

Would it be a good idea to use the markdown RFC as a template?
That's
what I was originally thinking.

Thanks,

@ 2020-10-06 20:39                       ` Palak Mathur
From: Palak Mathur @ 2020-10-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: Bastien, hj-orgmode-1, Wes Hardaker, emacs-orgmode

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:03 PM, TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> writes:
>
>> Ok, I'll try to create a template we can fill out in github next week
>> (I'm swamped this week with a deadline).
>
> Sounds good :) I'm fairly busy for the next ~month and a half anyway so
> I'm happy to accommodate delays.
>
> Would it be a good idea to use the markdown RFC as a template? That's
> what I was originally thinking.

Let me know if you need help. I can help out as well.

@ 2020-10-14  9:52               ` Lennart C. Karssen
From: Lennart C. Karssen @ 2020-10-14  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

On 01-10-2020 05:40, TEC wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> If there is absolutely zero burden put on the shoulders of Org's
>> maintainers, then I'm all for it.
>
> From the look of things, there's just effort in the initial creation.
>
>>> I think it would serve well the proliferation and
>>> popularization of org-mode.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> This is the main reason why I'm a fan of the idea :)
>
>> Is anyone willing to check that there are no constraints?
>
> I've read through https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838 and I couldn't see
> any constraints placed on us beyond the initial registration's
> requirements.
>
> For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be needed. Perhaps
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html will do? It looks complete.

One of the things I have been wondering about with regard to Org syntax
is the use of capital letters vs. lowercase ones for e.g. blocks and
options.

The org-syntax.html document linked above lists blocks as
#+BEGIN_NAME/#+END_NAME, #+KEY: VALUE, #+CALL: VALUE, #+ATTR_BACKEND,
etc. all in uppercase.

On the other hand, the manual states in the introduction: "Keywords and
blocks are written in uppercase to enhance their readability, but you
can use lowercase in your Org files."

At the same time, when I run org-export-dispatch to insert the default
export template (via C-c C-e # default on Org 9.3) I get all #+options,
#+title, etc. lines in lowercase.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to standardise on either uppercase or
lowercase? Limitting the standard to only one of the two case options
will probably spark a huge debate on which one to choose because one
side would have to change their behaviour. But at least for the Org code
that is generated automatically like in the above case of the default
export template I think choosing a 'preferred' option that is consistent
with the syntax document and the manual would help.

Best regards,

Lennart.

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
L.C. Karssen

lennart@karssen.org
http://blog.karssen.org
GPG key ID: A88F554A
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-10-14 14:22                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-10-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart C. Karssen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Lennart C. Karssen" <lennart@karssen.org> writes:

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to standardise on either uppercase or
> lowercase? Limitting the standard to only one of the two case options
> will probably spark a huge debate on which one to choose because one
> side would have to change their behaviour. But at least for the Org code
> that is generated automatically like in the above case of the default
> export template I think choosing a 'preferred' option that is consistent
> with the syntax document and the manual would help.

Org is standardized on lower case. Uppercase is used in the manual as
a poor man's bold, and supported for historical reasons.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
@ 2020-09-24 20:25 Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2020-09-24 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzg; +Cc: hj-orgmode-1, emacs-orgmode, tecosaur

Hi,

What are the pros?

About the cons: maybe we need to look more into the requirements.

I am looking at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2048 and the one that
concerns me a little is 2.2.6: I guess somebody would need to write a
bit of docs about security concerns. Or you can go the way Markdown did
it: from https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763#section-2

"Security considerations:

      Markdown interpreted as plain text is relatively harmless.  A text
      editor need only display the text.  The editor SHOULD take care to
      handle control characters appropriately and to limit the effect of
      the Markdown to the text-editing area itself; malicious Unicode-
      based Markdown could, for example, surreptitiously change the
      directionality of the text.  An editor for normal text would
      already take these control characters into consideration, however.

      Markdown interpreted as a precursor to other formats, such as
      HTML, carries all of the security considerations as the target
      formats.  For example, HTML can contain instructions to execute
      scripts, redirect the user to other web pages, download remote
      content, and upload personally identifiable information.  Markdown
      also can contain islands of formal markup, such as HTML.  These
      islands of formal markup may be passed as they are, transformed,
      or ignored (perhaps because the islands are conditional or
      incompatible) when the Markdown is processed.  Since Markdown may
      have different interpretations depending on the tool and the
      environment, a better approach is to analyze (and sanitize or
      block) the output markup, rather than attempting to analyze the
      Markdown.
"

Do they have an org-babel?

Thanks,