* Org-capture template no longer recognised...
@ 2021-01-04 22:42 Neil Shephard
From: Neil Shephard @ 2021-01-04 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am enjoying learning more and more about how functional and useful
org-mode is, truly amazing software.

One thing I've setup is a Babel document for logging exercise activities
and accompanying custom org-capture-templates for entering data.  These
worked great until recently but with no conscious change to my
org-capture-template they are now broken.

A simple example of the document is ~/org/training/training.org

* Running
** Log
#+NAME: running-log
#+CAPTION: Running Log
| Date             | Route             | Distance | Time         |
Pace                          | Notes       |
|------------------+-------------------+----------+--------------+-------------------------------+-------------|
| <2021-01-03 Fri> | Shorter 12km run  | 12.25km  | 60min + 25s  | 4
min / km + 55.918367 s / km | Less icey!  |
| <2021-01-01 Fri> | Longer 16km run   | 16.22km  | 80min + 03s  | 4
min / km + 56.115906 s / km | Icey!       |

I then have a ~/org/computing.org for keeping notes of tasks to do, a
simple example is...

* Emacs
** TODO <2020-11-11 Wed> vterm only on non-work computers.

My org-capture-templates are...

(setq org-capture-templates
    '(;; Computing
      ("c" "Computing")
      ("ce" "Emacs" entry (file+olp "~/org/computing.org" "Emacs")
       "* TODO %t %?\n" :prepend t)
      ;; Exercise
      ("e" "Exercise")
      ("er" "Logging a run" table-line (file+olp
"~/org/training/training.org" "Running" "Log")
       "| %t | %? | km | min + s | | |" :prepend t)
      ("ec" "Logging a cycle" table-line (file+olp
"~/org/training/training.org" "Cycling" "Log")
       "| %t | %? | km | min + s | | |" :prepend t)))

Until recently I could invoke org-capture, select e r and I'd be
prompted to enter data under Route...

| <2021-01-03 | <cursor here to start entry> | km | min + s | | |

On saving this would populate the table and calculate the pace.  Now
though I'm informed...

Capture abort: Symbol's function definition is void: assert

Debugging shows...
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Capture abort: Symbol’s function
definition is voi...")
 signal(error ("Capture abort: Symbol’s function definition is voi..."))
 error("Capture abort: %s" "Symbol’s function definition is void: assert")
 org-capture(nil) funcall-interactively(org-capture nil)
 call-interactively(org-capture nil nil)
 command-execute(org-capture)

I asked on Emacs Stackexchange
<https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62579/org-capture-templates-stopped-working?noredirect=1#comment98645_62579>
and it was suggested the error lay with cl.el as assert is a function
of this deprecated package.  The suggested additional of (require 'cl)
didn't improve things, just got a

different error message...

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Capture abort: Invalid function: assert")
  signal(error ("Capture abort: Invalid function: assert"))
  error("Capture abort: %s" "Invalid function: assert")
  org-capture(nil)
  funcall-interactively(org-capture nil)
  call-interactively(org-capture nil nil)
  command-execute(org-capture)

As I say I'd not changed my configuration which is the org-mode
bundled with Emacs 27.1.  I do have

a few computers though and it was still working on a second system
until I update installed packages,

after which the original error messsage (Capture abort: Symbol's
function definition is void: assert)
occurred again.  The packages I updated seem unrelated (to my
untrained eye). They were...

company-20201214.1620
ein-20201217.1508
flycheck-20201214.2154
forge-20201212.905
magit-20201212.929
org-ref-20201126.1924
pass-20190830.2017
projectile-20201214.839
python-mode-20201218.751
pyvenv-20201210.1509
auctex-12.3.1
dash-20201215.59
dash-functional-20201215.40
ess-20201217.1440
git-commit-20201115.2313
helm-20201215.1623
helm-core-20201202.907
ivy-20201217.1559
key-chord-20160227.1238
markdown-mode-20201211.329
mpdel-20201026.1123
transient-20201205.1610

What is strange is that capturing to ~/org/computing.org still works fine.

If there is any more information I can provide to assist with working
out where this is occurring
please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Neil

--
*Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge* - Charles
Darwin

PGP Public : 0x700172212EF5818B

* Re: Org-capture template no longer recognised...
@ 2021-01-07 17:57 Neil Shephard
From: Neil Shephard @ 2021-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Thanks for looking into this Kyle.