Org-mode mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc/org-manual.org: Extend table formulas Lisp form documentation
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:35:26 +1100
Message-ID: <87v9e5a38x.fsf@gmail.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <163c4fce-f787-c904-a3d9-c1aedc9847b1@grinta.net>


Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:

> On 16/11/2020 11:25, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Daniele,
>>
>> this looks good.  One minor pedantic point: I think you mean
>> "interpreted" when you say "interpolated" (several times in the
>> text).  Otherwise, this is a very useful addition to the manual.
>
> Thank you for reading and for the comment.
>
> "interpolated" looks strange to me in this context too, but it is the
> word that is currently used in the manual. I decided to stick to this
> term for consistency, however, I haven't check if it is used with the
> same meaning elsewhere.
>
> I don't think it is wrong to use "interpolated", but if you thing it
> should be changed I can change it and check the manual for consistency.
> However, I don't think "interpreted" is the right word either. Probably
> "replaced" or "substituted" are better choices in this context.
>

I agree. Interpolated is consistent with manuals for other programming
languages which have similar functionality. However, org is also used by
a more diverse community than typical programming languages, so perhaps
'replaced' or 'substituted' would be a better choice?

--
Tim Cross


  reply	other threads:[~2020-11-16 12:37 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2020-11-14 18:06 Daniele Nicolodi
2020-11-16 10:25 ` Eric S Fraga
2020-11-16 10:51   ` Daniele Nicolodi
2020-11-16 12:35     ` Tim Cross [this message]
2020-11-18 19:42       ` TEC
2020-11-18 20:15         ` Charles Millar
2020-11-25  4:37 ` Kyle Meyer
2020-11-25 20:44   ` Daniele Nicolodi
2020-11-27  6:40     ` Kyle Meyer

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

  List information: https://orgmode.org

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=87v9e5a38x.fsf@gmail.com \
    --to=theophilusx@gmail.com \
    --cc=emacs-orgmode@gnu.org \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

Org-mode mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://orgmode.org/list/0 list/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 list list/ https://orgmode.org/list \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index list

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git