Org-mode mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstanding
@ 2020-09-07  5:15 Bruno BEAUFILS
  2020-10-01 17:31 ` Rasmus
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Bruno BEAUFILS @ 2020-09-07  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Bruno BEAUFILS

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1778 bytes --]

Let us imagine this simple org file :

#+NAME: first
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem

#+end_src

If the cursor is at the last line and I want to insert an org block,
let's say an example, using org-tempo feature, I can type =<e=
followed by tabulation.

In that case I get something like 

#+NAME: second
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
#+begin_example

#+end_example
#+end_src

However if I get indentation role (for instance in exports) well I do
not expect that but instead something like:

#+NAME: third
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
    #+begin_example

    #+end_example
#+end_src

Are my expectations (and thus my use of indentation by org-mode
understandings) wrong or is it a bug?


In the same spirit if before trying that I type tabulation then =<e=
then tabulation again, nothing is inserted, aka org-tempo seems to work
only when cursor is at the beginning of line.

Am I right? Is it a feature or a bug?

I expected that the example block would have been inserted /correctly/
indented as in my third example above.


The only solution I found for getting things right is to type spaces
instead of tabulation to let my cursor go to the right column.

Let us consider this snippet.

#+NAME: fourth
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
    H
#+end_src

If the cursor is in the =H= position, then if I type =<e= then
tabulation everything seems right and I get the same result as in
<<third>>.

Any help would appreciated.

I use GNU Emacs 26.3 from Debian GNU bullseye (testing) and what I
think is the last org-mode version from ELPA.

#+begin_src 
Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-55-gba2405-elpa @ /home/bruno/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20200907/)
#+end_src

-- 
Bruno BEAUFILS

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstanding
  2020-09-07  5:15 org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstanding Bruno BEAUFILS
@ 2020-10-01 17:31 ` Rasmus
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: Rasmus @ 2020-10-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bruno,

Bruno BEAUFILS <bruno@boulgour.com> writes:

> Let us imagine this simple org file :
>
> #+NAME: first
> #+begin_src org
>
> - an item
>   - subitem
>
> #+end_src
>
> If the cursor is at the last line and I want to insert an org block,
> let's say an example, using org-tempo feature, I can type =<e=
> followed by tabulation.
>
> In that case I get something like 
>
> #+NAME: second
> #+begin_src org
>
> - an item
>   - subitem
>
> #+begin_example
>
> #+end_example
>
> #+end_src
>
> However if I get indentation role (for instance in exports) well I do
> not expect that but instead something like:
>
> #+NAME: third
> #+begin_src org
>
> - an item
>   - subitem
>
>     #+begin_example
>
>     #+end_example
>
> #+end_src
>
> Are my expectations (and thus my use of indentation by org-mode
> understandings) wrong or is it a bug?

Whether the inserted block is indented depends on ‘org-get-indentation’
and thus the cursor’s position, at least in some cases.

In particular, if | is the cursor, run org-get-indentation for these two
examples to understand when you get indentation and when not: 

1.
- a
| 

2:
- a
  | 

In 1. you are making a new block outside the list, in 2. it is part of the
first item of the list. Both are valid.

> In the same spirit if before trying that I type tabulation then =<e=
> then tabulation again, nothing is inserted, aka org-tempo seems to work
> only when cursor is at the beginning of line.
>
> Am I right? Is it a feature or a bug?

You can have any amount of whitespace before expanding something a tempo
snippet.  You can’t have anything but whitespace before expanding a tempo
snippet as a block must be the only thing on the line.

(there does appear to be a bug in expanding when there’s something after
the snippet:

- a
  <e| b

I’m not sure what is the right thing to do with “b” in this case.)


> I expected that the example block would have been inserted /correctly/
> indented as in my third example above.
>
>
> The only solution I found for getting things right is to type spaces
> instead of tabulation to let my cursor go to the right column.
>
> Let us consider this snippet.
>
> #+NAME: fourth
> #+begin_src org
>
> - an item
>   - subitem
>     H
> #+end_src
>
> If the cursor is in the =H= position, then if I type =<e= then
> tabulation everything seems right and I get the same result as in
> <<third>>.
>
> Any help would appreciated.

AFAICT everything is working as expected. 

Kind regards,
Rasmus

-- 
Even a three-legged dog has three good legs to lose



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-10-01 18:10 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-07  5:15 org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstanding Bruno BEAUFILS
2020-10-01 17:31 ` Rasmus

Org-mode mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://orgmode.org/list/0 list/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 list list/ https://orgmode.org/list \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index list

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git