From: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: Pierre de Buyl <pdebuyl@ulb.ac.be>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] S5 export
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:48:28 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Pierre,

Pierre de Buyl <pdebuyl@ulb.ac.be> writes:

> Hello Eric,
>
> This is amazing, actual emacs lisp code from my explanations, thanks a
> lot!

I'm happy to share it, thanks for the idea and the thorough explanation.

> If welcomed, I have a few comments related to how I currently use this
> function (I have a talk coming soon :-) )

Certainly, I'm happy to hear your feedback.

I have the most recent version of my code up in a git repository
available at [1], with the file defining the `org-export-as-s5' function
up at [2].

>     - If all "star" headlines become slides, it quickly leads to
> awkward layouts with empty slides below one star headings.

Agreed, for this reason `org-export-headline-levels' is set to 1.

>       I made a modification to the code to choose only one star
> headings as slides. This way, level 2 headings can be used as "in
> slide" headings.
>       I used an (if (looking-at "^\\* ") XXX) in the preprocess hook
> for that.

I think using the `org-export-headline-levels' variable should be an
easier way to implement this.  See line 29 of the current code where
this variable is set.

Oh, looking more closely, I see why you've made this change.  Even
though it shouldn't affect the output it seems wasteful to add the
'html-container-class property to non-top-level headlines.  I've added a
slight modification of your change to my code.

>     - An actual "title page" seems more appropriate, so I added one
> with "title author date" as h1,h2 and h3 headings.

Great idea.  I've updated my code to include two customizable format
strings (`org-s5-title-string-fmt' and `org-s5-title-page-fmt') which
can be used to specify the title string shown at the bottom of each
page, and the title page respectively.

> The css need to be tweaked a little bit to get nice results.
> My modified org-export-as-s5 function is attached.
>

> I also posted an example online. It it exported from the file s5-
> test.org with the function defined in the attached file. The css is
> very slightly modified.
> The "scientific content" of the talk is incomplete, this is normal :-/
>
> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.html
> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.org

Very nice, I really like the title page addition, and it's great to see
pictures, code and latex equations in a single example presentation.

I have an example with a simple theme I wrote available online [3].
Just yesterday I added a page to Worg [4] with instructions for using
this new function which links to my simple example presentation.  If you
don't mind sharing your example publicly I think it would make a great
addition to this worg page.

In general, I think this new S5 export option is turning into a very
useful addition to Org-mode.

Cheers -- Eric

> For those reading, I'll mention that using the html export, as done
> here, allows to include syntax-highlighted code and LaTeX equations
> very easily.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre
>
> Le 1 juin 11 à 18:41, Eric Schulte a écrit :
>
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> I've taken your very thorough S5 instructions and converted them
>> into a
>> single `org-export-as-s5' function.  The attached archive file holds
>> an
>> s5.org Org-mode file which defines this function, as well as the ui
>> directory required for S5, and an html file which results from calling
>> the `org-export-as-s5' function in the s5.org file.
>>
>> For now the results are also posted up at
>> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/notes/s5/s5.org
>> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/notes/s5/s5.html
>>
>> Thanks for the clear explanation which lead to such an easy
>> translation
>> into elisp.  Please let me know if you think this should be
>> augmented in
>> any way, or if the defined function throws any errors on your system.
>>
>> Best -- Eric
>>
>> <s5.tar.bz2>
>> Pierre de Buyl <pdebuyl@ulb.ac.be> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> After a lot a reading of org-exp.el and org-html.el I finally figured
>>> out the
>>> existence of the "HTML_CONTAINER_CLASS" property.
>>>
>>> I could then figure a minimal way to make a s5 presentation.
>>> Minimal in the sens of minimum difference with the html exporter.
>>>
>>> After setting a few STYLE and OPTIONS lines in an org file,
>>> three steps are needed:
>>> 1. Set the HTML_CONTAINER_CLASS to "slide" on level 1 headings
>>> 2. Set org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel to "1", so that slide titles
>>> behave properly
>>> 3. Replace in the html output
>>> by
>>> <h1>Interactive Python plotting</h1>

>>> You need the "ui" directory from the S5 archive to make it work
>>> indeed, http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/ .
>>> I attach an example org file and the resulting html (which was
>>> tweaked
>>> according to step 3).
>>>
>>> Pierre

Footnotes: