* Using est+ with effort estimate range
@ 2020-05-30 12:40 Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-05-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view

‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.

This is explained later:

The ‘est+’ summary type requires further explanation. It is used for combining estimates, expressed as low-high ranges. For example, instead of estimating a particular task will take 5 days, you might estimate it as 5–6 days if you’re fairly confident you know how much work is required, or 1–10 days if you do not really know what needs to be done. Both ranges average at 5.5 days, but the first represents a more predictable delivery.

But I’m not able to define a range.

** Arbeitszeiten planen und erfassen
:PROPERTIES:
    :COLUMNS:  %50ITEM(Aufgabe) %11TODO(Status) %EFFORT{est+} %CLOCKSUM
    :ID: Arbeitszeiten
:END:

*** Aufgabe 2 [0/1]

**** TODO Unteraufgabe 1
:PROPERTIES:
:EFFORT:   3-5 h
:END:

What is the correct format to define a range?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Axel

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
@ 2020-06-02 10:17 ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-06-02 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 30.05.2020 um 14:40 schrieb Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de>:
>
> Hello,
>
> according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view
>
> ‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.
>
> This is explained later:
>
> The ‘est+’ summary type requires further explanation. It is used for combining estimates, expressed as low-high ranges. For example, instead of estimating a particular task will take 5 days, you might estimate it as 5–6 days if you’re fairly confident you know how much work is required, or 1–10 days if you do not really know what needs to be done. Both ranges average at 5.5 days, but the first represents a more predictable delivery.

There was a bug report in 2014:

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:45:21 -0500
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
 or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
 c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]

With a reply and a patch by Nicolas:

From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:57:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
	or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
	c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]

Proper syntax is simply

  :Effort: 4-12

But this gives:
Invalid duration format: "4-12“

Here is the patch:

Fix low-high estimates	c1558d34d	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>	16.12.2014, 23:53

@ 2020-09-13 20:37   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the slow reply.

Axel Kielhorn writes:

>> Am 30.05.2020 um 14:40 schrieb Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view
>>
>> ‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.

[...]
> There was a bug report in 2014:
>
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:45:21 -0500
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
>  or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
>  c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
>
> With a reply and a patch by Nicolas:
[...]
> Proper syntax is simply
>
>   :Effort: 4-12
>
> But this gives:
> Invalid duration format: "4-12“
>
> Here is the patch:
>
> Fix low-high estimates	c1558d34d	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>	16.12.2014, 23:53

I see the same thing on my end as well, using your example and the
example from the message you linked to:

#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %12Effort(Estimate){est+}

* Estimate
** Little Thing
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   1.0-5.5
   :END:
** Big Mess
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   8.0-30.0
   :END:

It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
@ 2021-05-15  9:23     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
> by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
> 7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).

I'm not able to reproduce this bug from the maint branch, closing it
right now.  Please feel free to re-open it if I've not been testing it
correctly.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
@ 2021-05-16  5:31       ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2021-05-16  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.05.2021 um 11:23 schrieb Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>:
>
> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
>> by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
>> 7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this bug from the maint branch, closing it
> right now.  Please feel free to re-open it if I've not been testing it
> correctly.

It works fine with column view, but I have a different problem now.

Will write a separate message.

Greetings Axel