From: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
To: joakim@verona.se
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: problem with org-highest-priority
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:19:28 -0500

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> The change in behavior you describe came with 4f98694bf (Allow numeric
>> values for priorities, 2020-01-30).  Based on quickly skimming that
>> commit, I think the issue boils down to intentionally not supporting a
>> mix of numbers and letters.  I'm out of time tonight to look at it too
>> closely, but I think support for your use case could be restored with
>> something like the lightly tested patch below.
>
> Thanks, I tested your patch, and it helps a little bit.
>
> - m-x org-priority works, I can set any priority from 0 to Z
> - org-priority-down and org-priority-down doesn't work as expected, as
> they worked previously. I dont step through all the priority cookies,
> instead I quickly wind up in prio 0, then I'm stuck there, for lack of
> better description.

Thanks for testing it out.  I haven't really reloaded the issue into my
head yet, but perhaps there's just a bit more to tweak then.

> I'm not sure how to proceed. It seems I'm the only org-user affected by
> this change?

Hard to say, though I'd bet not (especially if we consider users that
aren't on v9.4 yet).

As for proceeding, with your feedback, I'll plan to take another look,
but it won't be right away, so anyone is welcome to beat me to an
updated patch.  Even if your formerly working approach wasn't actually
envisioned (*), I think it'd make sense to bring back support (along
with tests) if it doesn't add much complication.

  (*) Again, I haven't refreshed on this issue, and I'm a very boring
      user of A, B, and C priorities.

> Should I maintain a local patch to get the behaviour I
> want? What is the recomended way to do that? I usually run
> org-plus-contrib from elpa.

I'm perhaps not the best person to answer this as a non-ELPA user,
though I'd imagine your two main options are

  1) defining org-priority in your local config to override the builtin
     version, either with a pure redefinition or with advice-add's
     :override.

  2) cloning the Org repo and keeping a branch with the patch on top of
     the maint branch

For maintaining a local variant over a longer period, the latter is the
better way to go because you'll be alerted when the patched version
conflicts.

But let's see...