From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [FWD from emacs-orgmode] Re: Bug: About org-submit-bug-report [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 17:18:33 +0800	[thread overview]

[Forwarding this to emacs-devel]

The naming convention for mode-specific bug reporting seems to be
confusing. The bug reporting functions are often not easy to discover
without knowing the explicit command name (especially with emacs default
completion interface). For example see recent message in emacs-orgmode
(below).

> I want to suggest to make `report-org-bug' and alias for the command
> `org-submit-bug-report'.  That's the name I expected (considering
> "report-emacs-bug"), also some other Emacs packages name their bug
> reporting command according to this scheme.  The additional name would
> make this important command more discoverable.

Another convention for bug report command is
*mode*-report-bug/*mode*-bug-report:

calc-report-bug
reftex-report-bug
eshell-report-bug
gnuplot-bug-report
c-submit-bug-report

Though several modes are also using the naming similar to
org-submit-bug-report:

c-submit-bug-report
diredp-send-bug-report
org-edna-submit-bug-report

I am thinking if it would make sense to develop more standardised
command name conventions for bug reporting and add them to
(elisp)Emacs Lisp:Preparing Lisp code for distribution

Then, the built-in emacs packages might be changed to follow those
conventions and improve discoverability of bug reporting capabilities.

Also, an information that different major modes may have they own bug
reporting tools might be mentioned in the default template shown in
report-emacs-bug.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ihor