From: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>,
	Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Links in node-property
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 23:05:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Believe me, there *are* links in comments, I can see them :)
>
> Right now, hitting C-c C-o on this link
>
> # http://orgmode.org
>
> in an org-mode buffer produces the attached backtrace, which is
> a problem /per se/ (easily fixable, I guess.)

My bad. This should now be fixed.

> Anyway, not supporting links in comments does not feel right, as
> links in comments are both frequent and useful.

Comments, by definition, are dead data. It just doesn't make sense to
expect to have an active link, or timestamp, or whatever inside. If you
put an active timestamp in a comment, you don't expect it to show in the
agenda, right?

If you need live non-exportable data, you can stuff it in a regular
drawer.

> I'm sorry for the frustration it will inevitably create, but at this
> stage I suggest to simply revert the commits related to the rewriting
> of `org-open-at-point'.  To my knowledge, there is no bug that this
> rewrite fixes, there is no gain in speed, and only a regression (not
> opening the next link) and a bug (see `org-agenda-open-link'.)
>
> What do you think?

I think that if we reverted each buggy commit, we wouldn't be far from
the very first commit in Org.

Anyway, I suggest to either explain to me why opening the next link is
needed, so we can discuss on how to do it best, or implement the feature
yourself, as you intended to do a few minutes ago.

In any case, I don't see the need to trash the few hours of work
I invested already in this (well, almost) working function.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou