From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
To: "Sébastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>
Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: nicely managing multiple calendars in the agenda
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:45:30 -0400	[thread overview]

=?utf-8?Q?S=C3=A9bastien_Vauban?= <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> > Nick Dokos wrote:
> >> S=C3=A9bastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.=

> " :italic t))))

> >> Or maybe the font does not come in italic? AFAIK, if that's the case, th=
> en
> >> the italic attribute is just ignored.
> >
> > Nice try -- and you're definitely right asking (as this could easily be
> > overlooked), but here that's not the case: my font is Consolas (under
> > Ubuntu), which comes in italics.
> >
> > And I get _all the tags in italics_, thanks to the above specification of
> > `org-tag' -- _all but 2_ tags: `home' and `work', which come in their
> > upright version, independently of the argument passed in `org-tag-faces'.
>
> I've just noticed, in the 1000's of lines in my `*Messages*' buffer, someth=
> ing
> that can explain the noticed behavior:

> Invalid face attribute :italic t [54 times]
>
> Though, I don't understand why that attribute is invalid in the above spec!?
>
> Any idea?

Seb,

fonts/faces/etc are a tangled set of twisty passages, all looking
different to me (or maybe they look all the same - I can't tell).

That said, I can only suggest what I tried in my case. I set
org-tag-faces as above, added a :home: tag to a TODO item, placed the
cursor on a character in the tag and then did `C-u M-x
what-cursor-position'. I got the following:

,----
|         character: m (109, #o155, #x6d)
| preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
|        code point: 0x6D
|            syntax: w 	which means: word
|          category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
|       buffer code: #x6D
|         file code: #x6D
|           display: by this font (glyph code)
|     x:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1 (#x6D)
|
| Character code properties: customize what to show
|   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER M
|   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
|
| There are text properties here:
|   face                 (:background "#D4EAFF" :italic t)
|   font-lock-fontified  t
|   fontified            t
|   keymap               [Show]
|   mouse-face           highlight
|   org-no-flyspell      t
`----

so the face attributes obey what org-tag-faces said, but I
think the font itself cannot do what is asked:

  (font-face-attributes "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1")

gives

  (:family "fixed" :height 145 :weight normal :slant normal :width normal)

This applies to my setup of course, so YMMV, but it seemed likely that
that's what you were running into, hence my question.

You might be able to use the mechanisms described in sec. 38.12.8, "Font
Selection", of the Emacs Lisp manual to accomplish what you want, but
I can't help you there: I decided a long time ago not to step foot into
those waters.

HTH (but I doubt it),
Nick