* babel: textual output and graphic results
@ 2011-06-24 10:10 Eythan Weg
       [not found] ` <BANLkTimOd4mfgvbDxaR1xF3WjPFPFYwT57keREjdp5vtFep5PQ@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eythan Weg @ 2011-06-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

How could I effect the plot saved in a file and the output produced
shown in the buffer by using a single execution of R in the following
snippet?

#+begin_src R :results output :session
print(seq(1,10))
plot(seq(1,10))
#+end_src

Thank you.
Eythan

* Re: babel: textual output and graphic results
       [not found]   ` <87iprvph8y.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2011-06-24 12:28     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-24 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eythan Weg, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Eythan Weg <eythanweg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you.  True.  But, I would like, if possible, to have the link to
> the saved plot as a link in the output, for free.

Just add it as a cat() statement:

 #+begin_src R :results output :session
print(seq(1,10))
pdf("ThePlot.pdf")
plot(seq(1,10))
dev.off()
cat("[[./ThePlot.pdf]]")
#+end_src

> Eythan
>

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
> Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:18:36 +0200
>
>   On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Eythan Weg <eythanweg@gmail.com>
>   wrote:
>

>       Hi,
>
>       How could I effect the plot saved in a file and the output
>       produced
>       shown in the buffer by using a single execution of R in the
>       following
>       snippet?
>

>   Why not the old R way:
>
>       #+begin_src R :results output :session
>       print(seq(1,10))
>
>   pdf("ThePlot.pdf")
>
>       plot(seq(1,10))
>
>   dev.off()
>
>       #+end_src
>

>   Rainer
>

>       Thank you.
>       Eythan
>

>   --
>   Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
>   Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
>   Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
>   Stellenbosch University
>   South Africa
>
>   Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
>   Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
>   Fax (F): +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
>   Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
>   email: Rainer@krugs.de
>
>   Skype: RMkrug

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

@ 2011-06-24 18:11 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eythan Weg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

eythanweg@gmail.com (Eythan Weg) writes:

> Hi,
>
> How could I effect the plot saved in a file and the output produced
> shown in the buffer by using a single execution of R in the following
> snippet?

Each code block can only return a single output type, so you will have
to split your code block into two, however (given that you are using
sessions) this should not affect the runtime behavior.  The following
will work...

#+begin_src R :results output :session
print(seq(1,10))
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :file example.png :session
plot(seq(1,10))
#+end_src

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

@ 2011-06-24 18:46 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2011-06-24 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eythan,

This sounds similar to something I'd already done on Worg, ie: dual
format returns in R. The first example (RBabelExample) is really R
outputting to PNG for viewing inline in emacs with inline-images, and
PDF for inclusion into Latex.

Maybe you can adapt it to return your text, and graph separately.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

Enjoy.

@ 2011-06-25 12:00       ` Eythan Weg
From: Eythan Weg @ 2011-06-25 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

True again.  It solves the problem by bypassing a babel's weakness, I think.

Eythan

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:28:41 +0200

@ 2011-06-25 12:05   ` Eythan Weg
From: Eythan Weg @ 2011-06-25 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:11:52 -0700

   eythanweg@gmail.com (Eythan Weg) writes:

   > Hi,
   >
   > How could I effect the plot saved in a file and the output produced
   > shown in the buffer by using a single execution of R in the following
   > snippet?

   Each code block can only return a single output type, so you will have

Is this property fundamental, or temporary?

@ 2011-06-25 17:45         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-25 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eythan Weg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Eythan Weg <eythanweg@gmail.com> wrote:

> True again.  It solves the problem by bypassing a babel's weakness, I
> think.

I would not say babel's weakness - rether a strength which result's in it's
simplicity and power.

Rainer

> Eythan
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
> Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:28:41 +0200
>
>   On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Eythan Weg <eythanweg@gmail.com>
>   wrote:
>

>       Thank you. True. But, I would like, if possible, to have the link
>       the saved plot as a link in the output, for free.
>

>   Just add it as a cat() statement:
>
>   #+begin_src R :results output :session
>   print(seq(1,10))
>   pdf("ThePlot.pdf")
>   plot(seq(1,10))
>   dev.off()
>   cat("[[./ThePlot.pdf]]")
>   #+end_src
>

>       Eythan
>

>       Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
>       Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:18:36 +0200
>

>       On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Eythan Weg <eythanweg@gmail.com>
>       wrote:
>

>       Hi,
>
>       How could I effect the plot saved in a file and the output
>       produced
>       shown in the buffer by using a single execution of R in the
>       following
>       snippet?
>

>       Why not the old R way:
>
>       #+begin_src R :results output :session
>       print(seq(1,10))
>
>       pdf("ThePlot.pdf")
>
>       plot(seq(1,10))
>
>       dev.off()
>
>       #+end_src
>

>       Rainer
>

>       Thank you.
>       Eythan
>

>       --
>       Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
>       Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
>       Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
>       Stellenbosch University
>       South Africa
>
>       Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
>       Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
>       Fax (F): +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
>       Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
>       email: Rainer@krugs.de
>
>       Skype: RMkrug
>

>   --
>   Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
>   Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
>   Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
>   Stellenbosch University
>   South Africa
>
>   Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
>   Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
>   Fax (F): +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
>   Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
>   email: Rainer@krugs.de
>
>   Skype: RMkrug

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: babel: textual output and graphic results
@ 2011-06-25 18:41     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eythan Weg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>    Each code block can only return a single output type, so you will have
>
> Is this property fundamental, or temporary?

This is intentional and will not be changed.

The alternative would introduce many complications without adding any
real new expressive power to code blocks.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/