From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: "Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen" <soren@aamikkelsen.dk>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Export of subtree does not include header
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:43:23 -0600

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen
<soren@aamikkelsen.dk> wrote:
> I have used orgmode for a while, but hasn't used any of its advanced
> features that much. I'm currently writing a minutes report and what to
> export a specific subtree, e.g.
>
> * Minutes from <2013-01-11>
>
> * Minutes from <2013-01-18>    <--- Want to export this only
>
> Then I press C-c @, which marks the subtree, and then I press C-c C-e
> and export it as a pdf-document.
>
> The problem is that I want the top section to remain the same, i.e. "Minutes from
> <2013-01-18>" is the top section and the others to be subsection of
> that.
>
> Currently, it surely exports the right subtree but the top-section is
> not "Minutes from <2013-01-18>", but the bullet after that.

I get the same behavior. Does it need to export it in a "tree" like
format, or would you be okay with your top level headline (the one you
want exported, but which is currently not) being the actual title of
the document? Or is that what you're currently getting.

With default settings (org-export-latex-title-command "\\maketitle"),
I get the top-most headline of the marked subtree as my document title
and the next level headline as the first section. Is this what you're
getting, or the top headline text isn't showing up in the document at
all?

If having it as the title would work, you would get:
----------
[centered]Minutes from <2013-01-18>[centered]

A bit of white space

Any text directly under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>"...

[section] The first headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
text under that headline

[section 2] The second headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
text under that headline

If it's just the centered text/bit white space gap you don't like, I'm
sure there's LaTeX header arguments you could put in your Org document
or setupfile to left-align the title and remove the space. What do you
think of that option?

Also... just to save you *one* keystroke,  you can put your cursor on
the headline of interest and do =C-e 1 p=, which I think does the same
as marking the whole subtree with =C-c @ C-e p=.

John