* shortcuts to hide nearest heading or sparse tree
@ 2011-09-16 22:32 Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2011-09-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been studying extensively and have not found a quick way to hide the
nearest heading (which contains point) as well as the entire sparse tree. I
often have two or more sparse trees open as I go look for information
elsewhere and then want to return to the place I was at. So, can I be lazy
and do these operations with a few keys?

* shortcuts to hide nearest heading or sparse tree
@ 2011-09-25  0:55 ` Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2011-09-25  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Reposting due to no replies:

I have been studying extensively and have not found a quick way to hide the
nearest heading (which contains point) as well as the entire sparse tree. I
often have two or more sparse trees open as I go look for information
elsewhere and then want to return to the place I was at. So, can I be lazy
and do these operations with a few keys?

* Re: shortcuts to hide nearest heading or sparse tree
@ 2011-10-02 13:53   ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2011-10-02 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buchs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:55:37 -0500,
Kevin Buchs wrote:

> I have been studying extensively and have not found a quick way to hide the nearest heading (which
> contains point) as well as the entire sparse tree. I often have two or more sparse trees open as I go
> look for information elsewhere and then want to return to the place I was at. So, can I be lazy and
> do these operations with a few keys?

C-c C-u then M-x hide-subtree would close parent heading.. You can do

(defun close-parent-heading ()
  (interactive)
  (outline-up-heading 1)
  (hide-subtree))

then bind it to a key.

If you want to hide parent headings until you reach certain condition, then you'll
have to write a more complicated function like so:

(defun fold-until-tagged-blah ()
  "Fold headings containing point upward until heading tagged :blah"
  (interactive)
  (org-back-to-heading)
  (let (done)
    (while (not done)
      (cond ((member "blah" (org-get-tags-at nil t))
             (setq done t))
            ((not (org-up-heading-safe))
             (setq done t))))
    (org-hide-subtree)))