* ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-11 15:32 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2021-01-11 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I noticed over the weekend that the `<title>` tag in an ox-html document is
populated with HTML when inline formatting like bold or italics is used.
I'm running org 9.4.4 but even on HEAD
<https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/9ea7ff5e2f8f9f280f8022cade62c1a3bba1478c/lisp/ox-html.el#L2092-L2111>
this
behavior seems to be the same where `(org-export-data title …)` is used to
populate the title rather than something that would render the title
textually.

My understanding from MDN
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/title> is that
`title` tags should never contain markup.

Is this something we'd take a patch for? My thought is that the title
should be converted using the text backend by default, perhaps with a
configuration variable that would let you specify a different one (for
instance markdown) but I wouldn't go that far at first. Of course at
minimum since org is textual it could just use the title without exporting
at all but I think that doesn't go far enough. The other possibility would
be to somehow strip all special characters from the title but I think that
goes much too far.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

https://blog.twonegatives.com
http://five.sentenc.es

* Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-12  1:19 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-01-12  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Visher writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed over the weekend that the `<title>` tag in an ox-html document is
> populated with HTML when inline formatting like bold or italics is used.
[...]
> Is this something we'd take a patch for?

Thanks for reporting.  Is this addressed by the in-progress series at
<https://orgmode.org/list/87o8hwpz34.fsf@gmail.com/>?

* Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-12 14:51   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2021-01-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:19 PM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

> Tim Visher writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I noticed over the weekend that the `<title>` tag in an ox-html document
> is
> > populated with HTML when inline formatting like bold or italics is used.
> [...]
> > Is this something we'd take a patch for?
>
> Thanks for reporting.  Is this addressed by the in-progress series at
> <https://orgmode.org/list/87o8hwpz34.fsf@gmail.com/>?

IIUC yes. I believe the following section of the diff should address it.

```
+  (let* ((title (org-html-plain-text
+ (org-element-interpret-data (plist-get info :title)) info))
+ ;; Set title to an invisible character instead of leaving it
+ ;; empty, which is invalid.
+ (title (if (org-string-nw-p title) title "&lrm;"))
```

If I'm reading the code correctly, `org-html-plain-text` is a specialized
form of converting org data into a plain text string with no markup. If I
have that correct then I believe you're right.

Is that your read as well?

* Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-13  3:43     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-01-13  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Visher writes:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:19 PM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

>> Thanks for reporting.  Is this addressed by the in-progress series at
>> <https://orgmode.org/list/87o8hwpz34.fsf@gmail.com/>?
>>

> IIUC yes. I believe the following section of the diff should address it.
[...]
> If I'm reading the code correctly, `org-html-plain-text` is a specialized
> form of converting org data into a plain text string with no markup. If I
> have that correct then I believe you're right.
>
> Is that your read as well?

Yep.  And as a light test:

    #+title: a *b* c

exports

  <title>a *b* c</title>

rather than

* Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-13 15:26       ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2021-01-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:43 PM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

> Tim Visher writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:19 PM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for reporting.  Is this addressed by the in-progress series at
> >> <https://orgmode.org/list/87o8hwpz34.fsf@gmail.com/>?
> >>

> > IIUC yes. I believe the following section of the diff should address it.
> [...]
> > If I'm reading the code correctly, `org-html-plain-text` is a specialized
> > form of converting org data into a plain text string with no markup. If I
> > have that correct then I believe you're right.
> >
> > Is that your read as well?
>
> Yep.  And as a light test:
>
>     #+title: a *b* c
>
> exports
>
>   <title>a *b* c</title>
>
> rather than

Nice! I don't know enough about `org-export` but FWIW the use case I have
is not to have an explicit `title` property but instead just the default
title of the heading contents. I assume that's all handled transparently by
the `(plist-get …` section.

Do you have any idea the timeline for getting that patch merged?

* Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
@ 2021-01-21  4:10         ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-01-21  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Visher writes:

> Nice! I don't know enough about `org-export` but FWIW the use case I have
> is not to have an explicit `title` property but instead just the default
> title of the heading contents. I assume that's all handled transparently by
> the `(plist-get …` section.
>
> Do you have any idea the timeline for getting that patch merged?

It's been applied to master (f4b9f9808).  Please report back if you
still encounter the problem in your use case.