* idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  4:22 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-08  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dunno if this is sensible, but istr you can capture using emacsclient?

i really like hte org capture extension in firefox and want it for
everything in x [which means emacs itself using mouse and what little
else i run].

my idea was, to emacsclient to call org protocol to a defined capture
template just like the firefox extension.  this would be alled from
the wm menu.

is something like this possible?

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  5:01 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-09-08  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> dunno if this is sensible, but istr you can capture using emacsclient?
>
> i really like hte org capture extension in firefox and want it for
> everything in x [which means emacs itself using mouse and what little
> else i run].
>
> my idea was, to emacsclient to call org protocol to a defined capture
> template just like the firefox extension.  this would be alled from
> the wm menu.
>
> is something like this possible?

I don't really understand what it is your trying to do. I don't
understand why you would want org protocol from inside emacsclient when
you already have full access to capture in any emacs buffer, including
emacsclient? You can already start emacscleint and tell it to run a
command (like org-capture) and you could easily bind that to a window
manager shortcut or menu.
--
Tim Cross

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  5:05   ` Samuel Wales
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-08  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
using wm menu.

same thing for emacs, although it is roundabout.  i just don't know
the code to set up context menus for every type of buffer is all.  so
figured would just use the roundabout thing i would use for any
non-emacs application.  this is for when keyboard cannot be used.

--

@ 2020-09-08  5:21     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-09-08  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
> using wm menu.
>
> same thing for emacs, although it is roundabout.  i just don't know
> the code to set up context menus for every type of buffer is all.  so
> figured would just use the roundabout thing i would use for any
> non-emacs application.  this is for when keyboard cannot be used.
>
> On 9/7/20, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> dunno if this is sensible, but istr you can capture using emacsclient?
>>>
>>> i really like hte org capture extension in firefox and want it for
>>> everything in x [which means emacs itself using mouse and what little
>>> else i run].
>>>
>>> my idea was, to emacsclient to call org protocol to a defined capture
>>> template just like the firefox extension.  this would be alled from
>>> the wm menu.
>>>
>>> is something like this possible?
>>
>> I don't really understand what it is your trying to do. I don't
>> understand why you would want org protocol from inside emacsclient when
>> you already have full access to capture in any emacs buffer, including
>> emacsclient? You can already start emacscleint and tell it to run a
>> command (like org-capture) and you could easily bind that to a window
>> manager shortcut or menu.
>> --
>> Tim Cross

You don't need org protocol for that. All you need to do is call
emacsclient with the -e or --eval argument, passing it the expression
(org-capture). This will open (on GUI) an emacs frame with the initial
org-capture buffer where you can select the template you want. Then, you
just past (yank) in whatever you have copied with the mouse.

How you add this to a window manager menu or key binding will depend on
your window manager, but essentially, you just calling emacscleint with
the argument -e (org-capture). You may need to quote the command to
prevent shell interpolation of the command and you may need to add other
arguments, such as -n or --no-wait etc. Once added to a menu or wm hot
key, you then just need to select the menu item or trigger the hotkey to
bring up emacscleint and the initial capture buffer.
--
Tim Cross

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  5:39     ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-09-08  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

08.09.2020 12:05, Samuel Wales wrote:
> well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
> using wm menu.

Do you mean a tiny tool that takes content of X primary selection or
clipboard and passes it to emacs-client org-protocol argument?
Implementation should have a few lines of code and should allow you to
bind it to window manager menu or hotkeys. On the other hand I do not
see great difference from pasting text directly to emacs. Customization
glue (primary selection/clipboard, name of template, etc.) is thicker
than code that do the actual job.

The harder part is extracting of formatted text (that could be
application specific) and converting it to org markup. I had a look
into emacs sources and did not find extension points to obtain
application-specific format, so external tool could provide some benefit
(e.g. capturing link with description from libreoffice).

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  7:18       ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-09-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

08.09.2020 12:21, Tim Cross wrote:

> How you add this to a window manager menu or key binding will depend on
> your window manager, but essentially, you just calling emacscleint with
> the argument -e (org-capture). You may need to quote the command to
> prevent shell interpolation of the command and you may need to add other
> arguments, such as -n or --no-wait etc.

Good point. However playing with a script for org protocol, I realized
that there could be no emacs frame yet, so I added --create-frame
depending on output of

emacsclient --quiet --eval \
   "(seq-some (lambda (f) (if (eq 'x (framep f)) 'has-frame 'no-frame))
(frame-list))" \
   2>&1

Another point is to provide feedback (notify-send, kdialog, zenity,
etc.) if emacs server is not running at all (non-zero exit code of the
shell command above). Though since Samuel is already using org-protocol,
it should not be a problem.

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08  8:03         ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-09-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Nikulin; +Cc: Org-mode

Doom Emacs has an 'org-capture' script that uses emacsclient to externally
invoke a new frame with 'org-capture' in it. Maybe this could be a good
starting point?

https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/blob/develop/bin/org-capture

--Diego

@ 2020-09-08 16:08           ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-09-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

08.09.2020 15:03, Diego Zamboni wrote:

> Doom Emacs has an 'org-capture' script that uses emacsclient to
> externally invoke a new frame with 'org-capture' in it. Maybe this could
> be a good starting point?
>
> https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/blob/develop/bin/org-capture

Thank you for the link. I have found it interesting due to I am unaware
what is considered as best practices in relation to invoking of emacsclient.

Though I am a bit lazy to try doom-emacs just now. Does the script works
correctly if emacs server is already running but with no frames at the
moment of script execution?

A couple of things I have noticed in the script:
- Systemd service file in emacs stops server without redefining of
kill-emacs-hook.
- Despite it was not exactly the same problem, cleanup in shell script
after completion of a child process was discussed in [1]. Some subtle
aspects are better highlighted in the non-top rated answer. I suspect,
in the case of emacs races might happen in different places.

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/444676 "Forward SIGTERM to child in
Bash"

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-08 22:40       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-08 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9/7/20, Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> 08.09.2020 12:05, Samuel Wales wrote:
>> well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
>> using wm menu.
>
> Do you mean a tiny tool that takes content of X primary selection or
> clipboard and passes it to emacs-client org-protocol argument?

maybe.  guessing probably.  i want it to take contents of x primary
selection or clipboard and get it into emacs using a capture template
item.  whether this requries oprg-protocl, idk.

so basically fluxbox menu calls some trivial command which invokes
capoture on my already-existing capture template such as the one that
i already use for hte firefox org-capture extension to use.

> Implementation should have a few lines of code and should allow you to
> bind it to window manager menu or hotkeys. On the other hand I do not
> see great difference from pasting text directly to emacs. Customization
> glue (primary selection/clipboard, name of template, etc.) is thicker
> than code that do the actual job.
>
> The harder part is extracting of formatted text (that could be
> application specific) and converting it to org markup. I had a look
> into emacs sources and did not find extension points to obtain
> application-specific format, so external tool could provide some benefit
> (e.g. capturing link with description from libreoffice).

while such features would be great, my needs are modest i think.  i
would be delighted with just plain text.

but if possible i'd want it to be inserted as utf-8 even if the
terminal or deluge or whatever uses some different encoding.

--

@ 2020-09-09  1:07 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-09  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, emacs-orgmode

> is something like this possible?

It's very easy. Below is a part of my capture (bash) script for qutebrowser:

emacsclient "org-protocol://capture?template=$TEMPLATE&url=$URL&title=$TITLE&body=$SELECTED_TEXT&html=$QUTE_HTML&qutebrowser-fifo=$QUTE_FIFO"

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-09-09  4:52         ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-09-09  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

09.09.2020 05:40, Samuel Wales wrote:
> On 9/7/20, Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you mean a tiny tool that takes content of X primary selection or
>> clipboard and passes it to emacs-client org-protocol argument?
>
> maybe.  guessing probably.  i want it to take contents of x primary
> selection or clipboard and get it into emacs using a capture template
> item.  whether this requries oprg-protocl, idk.

Isn't Tim's suggestion suitable for you (to call emacsclient --eval
'(org-capture)' directly without any additional tool or even
org-protocol)? I noticed his answer after I sent my message.

Some wrapper to create a new frame may be necessary, but since you are
likely happy with your desktop protocol handler, you could use very
similar script with eval instead of org-protocol argument when
emacsclient is invoked.

Capture templates allow calling of arbitrary lisp code, so you could
take value from kill ring or call low level gui-get-selection function.
The latter would allow separate templates for primary selection and for
clipboard.

I do not know what is more convenient for you, to use emacs capture
template dialog or dedicated menu items or hotkeys in window manager for
access to primary selection and clipboard and passing additional
argument to org-capture.

By the way, is there a convention for keystrokes that allows both
clipboard and primary selection? I have seen that either option could be
configured for default kill/yank but sometimes it is convenient to use both.

>> The harder part is extracting of formatted text (that could be
>> application specific) and converting it to org markup. I had a look
>> into emacs sources and did not find extension points to obtain
>> application-specific format, so external tool could provide some benefit
>> (e.g. capturing link with description from libreoffice).
>
> while such features would be great, my needs are modest i think.  i
> would be delighted with just plain text.
>
> but if possible i'd want it to be inserted as utf-8 even if the
> terminal or deluge or whatever uses some different encoding.

With spread of UTF-8 I almost forget problems with charsets. I hope,
currently it should be workarounds for particular applications.

I have seen comments that modern pandoc could convert various formats to
org. As to working with formatted text, previous time my curiosity was
exhausted after the following commands for tcl

package require Tk
puts "[selection get -type TARGETS]"
puts "[selection get -type text/html -selection CLIPBOARD]

I have not searched which languages provide easy access to selection
with minimal dependencies and if there are some ready to use libraries
to extract rich text. Maybe sources of a browser or an office
application should be expected (or of some simple application that still
allows to copy-paste of rich text).

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-09  8:40     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-09-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 10:05:38PM -0700, Samuel Wales wrote:
> well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
> using wm menu.

I routinely capture programming and UNIX history. I select text (X11
clipboard), and then I have a skel/abbrev to insert it into Emacs. I
type "pexa<space>" and it creates an example source block and pastes
the clipboard into it with proper indentation. "pexa" stands for
"paste example".

This is *so* fast compared to creating a new source block (C-c C-, e),
then entering it (C-c C-'), pasting (C-y), and then exiting (C-c C-').

;; Org mode skeletons instead of yasnippet
(define-skeleton rla-paste-example
  "Insert an Org-mode example source block and paste the clipboard into it." nil
  "#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE\n"
  ;; indent to match the src block
  (concat "  " (replace-regexp-in-string "\n" "\n  " (replace-regexp-in-string "\n$" "" (current-kill 0)))) "\n"
  "#+END_EXAMPLE\n"
  "\n"
  -)

(define-abbrev-table 'org-mode-abbrev-table '(("pexa" "" rla-paste-example 0)))

Mind you this is in the current buffer I'm typing in. If I wanted to
add from the CLI, I'd use a capture template with a predefined
location and make sure it includes the clipboard in expansion.

As some of the other replies have shown, triggering capture externally
isn't too hard. You'll just need to figure out the WM hook.

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-09 21:11       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-09 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

as some have mentioned keystrokes, i just wanted to point out htat the
idea here is select with mouse and run using mouse, with no keyboard
at all.  firefox org-capture does this for me.  in case there was any
confusion.

--

@ 2020-09-10 14:23           ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-09-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

09.09.2020 11:52, Maxim Nikulin wrote:

> Capture templates allow calling of arbitrary lisp code, so you could
> take value from kill ring or call low level gui-get-selection function.
> The latter would allow separate templates for primary selection and for
> clipboard.

Today I have noticed that there are %c and %x substitutions for capture
templates (thanks to the patch suggesting %L). With default preferences
emacs listen to X clipboard and adds its contents to kill-ring, so
current clipboard content is available as %c. %x at first tries primary
selection. So there is no need to call gui-get-selection directly. By
default both variants of selection are available through substitutions.
If emacs is tuned to use primary selection, there is a compatibility
function org-get-x-clipboard.

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-12  8:48             ` Nick Econopouly
From: Nick Econopouly @ 2020-09-12  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Just chiming in here, you are correct that org-protocol is
unnecessary. Regular org-capture templates plus a call to
emacsclient -e will do the trick. I happened to recently see a
workflow like this in a blog post:
https://yiufung.net/post/anki-org/

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
@ 2020-09-13 20:29   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: No Wayman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode-request, emacs-orgmode

Hi No Wayman,

No Wayman <iarchivedmywholelife@gmail.com> writes:

> I use a deamon specifically for this. Here's a gist with my setup
> (thought slightly out of date, this will work as a base):
>
> https://gist.github.com/progfolio/af627354f87542879de3ddc30a31adc1

Thanks for sharing this, I've added (as 10e460b9) an entry on worg:
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html

--
 Bastien

* Re: idea for capture anywhere in x